Fattening Up
This week, Miki is out of school and indulging in her new toys she got from various friends and family. Since we live in very modern and different times, dad and I decided not to give her too much as it will end up in the trash within the next 9 months.
Meanwhile when I was a kid, we didn't get anything...SQUAT. My toys were wrapped in plastic and only to be admired from afar. It didn't matter how good we were, we didn't get much. That usually holds true for most Chinese families as our parents never really grasped the concept of Xmas or the gift giving aspect. As far as they were concerned, if you were dry and had a roof over your head, that was the best thing in the world.
Toys were seen as being wasteful. My parents would rather buy six pounds of potato chips and clothing in lieu of toys. Dammit...I wonder if this had anything to do with the Communist rule they escaped from and decided to implement at home because it was extremely convenient. My parents were raised under the Nationalist rule, so they can't tell me that they were oppressed and all that whatnot.
But because we were mainstream kids and were born in the US, goshdarnit, we WANTED presents. My dad managed to get an artificial Xmas tree, but didn't put any cool gifts under it. Each year, we'd unwrapped more cookies and chocolate. Aiyah.
All year long, we go to Toys R Us and pick up a toy here and there with each trip. If you do the math, a large/expensive toy is purchased monthly adds up. Either we save it for Xmas (no can do) or we buy it because she bats her lovely long lashes [Note: we still don't know where she got it from..must the postal carrier].
So we succumb to the desire of seeing her bright, radiant and gleeful face. We got her an oversized Blue's Clues Magenta doll which is very hard to find item. She loves the pink puppy and obtaining Magenta in a store is practically an impossible feat. But...her desires lie in Spongebob Squarepants.
Yearghh. I absolutely hate it. I refuse to buy or see it in my home. Yuck.
Because she was being a total brat in the last quarter, I didn't want to spoil her either. She's picked up a ton of lousy habits from school which I'm trying to undo this week. Because it's been cold, I decided to keep things simple, like stuffing her.
Miki doesn't like school lunches so she her eating habits are poor. She has a small breakfast, skips lunch and nibbles on her snack like a picky cat. So, her only her main meal is dinner. If dinner is a bomb, consider my kid starved for the day. All day long we're eating and chowing down everything...from sushi, steak, bbq ribs to gummy bears. By next week, she'll lose all of her roly-poly-ness. But my job is done, along with a gabillion loads of laundry.
Meanwhile when I was a kid, we didn't get anything...SQUAT. My toys were wrapped in plastic and only to be admired from afar. It didn't matter how good we were, we didn't get much. That usually holds true for most Chinese families as our parents never really grasped the concept of Xmas or the gift giving aspect. As far as they were concerned, if you were dry and had a roof over your head, that was the best thing in the world.
Toys were seen as being wasteful. My parents would rather buy six pounds of potato chips and clothing in lieu of toys. Dammit...I wonder if this had anything to do with the Communist rule they escaped from and decided to implement at home because it was extremely convenient. My parents were raised under the Nationalist rule, so they can't tell me that they were oppressed and all that whatnot.
But because we were mainstream kids and were born in the US, goshdarnit, we WANTED presents. My dad managed to get an artificial Xmas tree, but didn't put any cool gifts under it. Each year, we'd unwrapped more cookies and chocolate. Aiyah.
All year long, we go to Toys R Us and pick up a toy here and there with each trip. If you do the math, a large/expensive toy is purchased monthly adds up. Either we save it for Xmas (no can do) or we buy it because she bats her lovely long lashes [Note: we still don't know where she got it from..must the postal carrier].
So we succumb to the desire of seeing her bright, radiant and gleeful face. We got her an oversized Blue's Clues Magenta doll which is very hard to find item. She loves the pink puppy and obtaining Magenta in a store is practically an impossible feat. But...her desires lie in Spongebob Squarepants.
Yearghh. I absolutely hate it. I refuse to buy or see it in my home. Yuck.
Because she was being a total brat in the last quarter, I didn't want to spoil her either. She's picked up a ton of lousy habits from school which I'm trying to undo this week. Because it's been cold, I decided to keep things simple, like stuffing her.
Miki doesn't like school lunches so she her eating habits are poor. She has a small breakfast, skips lunch and nibbles on her snack like a picky cat. So, her only her main meal is dinner. If dinner is a bomb, consider my kid starved for the day. All day long we're eating and chowing down everything...from sushi, steak, bbq ribs to gummy bears. By next week, she'll lose all of her roly-poly-ness. But my job is done, along with a gabillion loads of laundry.
Comments:
Post a Comment
