Ten of Pentacles - Linder's Version

Here is the place where the total mind dump takes no form or shape. Call it Verbal cubism!

Thursday, December 23, 2004

School's Out! 

End of my fatigue & headache.

Miki's out of school and I'm done with this festive hooplah between the kids, parents and teachers. I have been busy with a ton of school activities, not because I'm a caring parent, it's because shit was ready to hit the fan.

I may not have the authority to comment how the parochial system works, but one thing is for sure, there's a limited budget and it all depends on how management utilizes it. So, with a young and struggling principal, all of the parents genetically related to Velociprators try and take advantage of the inexperience. As a result, our young principal makes a valiant attempt to fend them off, but ends up distrusting everyone in the process.

So, after decisions are being made by the Parents on the School Committee, the principal constantly overrides them. There are a ton of blips and bleeps with school activities as she makes poor judgement of the processes, bad delegation and the lack of follow-ups required in her position. As a result, certain parents gave up their positions and no longer offer assistance. Can't really blame them after having their decisions bulldozed, but in the same token, some of these parents can be vindictive as well.

For example, take Anita. She's been known to lead in all of the school projects in the past, but has conveniently disappeared for every one of them this year. Why? Anita despises the principal and her son require special attention by his teachers as he is difficult to deal with [I swear he has ADD and is such a friggen smart-ass like his mom]. This mother truly believes that she has a prominent right to make her case, however big or small, as she has "earned" seniority and is a major player in the committee. Because her rugrat is on the teacher's shit list, she feels that everyone on the staff is making this a personal issue. To retaliate, [I have come to a conclusion] she is deliberately sabotaging all of principal's efforts during events time.

So...guess who unknowingly steps in? Moi.

I see the poor art teacher and custodian wrapping up the school's gifts. I offer my assistance and help wrap 130+ gifts in two days (plus, I managed to grab other parents as well). It is obvious that there is lack of communication to solicit volunteers as we need assistance. There are eager and available folks, but they don't know how they can contribute. I don't know if it's the lack of leadership presence by the principal or by the committee leader. The definition of who does what is certainly absent and in limbo. All they managed to do was pitch forth a mission and left it at that. There's supposed to be a way to ACCOMPLISH the aforementioned mission, ya know?

Now the success comes from individuals with Type A personalities and exceptional project management skills [a-hem]. The quick thinking (me), problem resolution (me) and the ability to prioritize tasks (me) allowed the majority of the shit to be done. I've managed to win the principal's trust by barraging her with a ton of questions with the stupid and impractical decisions or ideas she pitches forth. I noticed that a lot of parents complain, but behind her back. None of them actually ARGUE their points like I do. Of course, if I was running the show, I wouldn't wait to the last minute just to put out fires. Now why would I want to grind my own ass...especially in this weather?

Our principal was also a successful teacher in the school, so the administrative aspect of her career still needs to be worked on. I noticed a lot of teachers don't know how to delegate or 'use' folks, so most of them are stuck with the task of doing everything themselves.

I commend them for their ardor since they're in 7-ish AM and leave at some time after 5PM. Those are LONG-ass hours. Earlier this year I spent a few hours with the nursery class (3 year olds) and man, I was TIRED after helping them out with making Easter eggs. Half of them were crying over the fact that their hands were dirty and needed to wash their hands pronto. Mud pies, anyone?

The bottom line is: the principal has a learning curve and can be a politically correct retard. But can we set that crap aside so the kids can ENJOY the festivities?

Oh boy...I have more stories about this Anita mom. Not only is she a MEGA asswipe, but a malicious and disgustingly malevolent person on this planet. I'll reserve the story for a whole other blog.

So, technically, my vacation starts tomorrow! TTFN!

Posted by lindikins @ 5:23 PM

Comments:

Oh man...the soap opera of school governance and parental involvement...I remember those days well from high school, when the Board wanted to cut ALL extracurriculars (except sports of course) and people like my mom had to stand up at school board meetings and explain to those assholes what things like "art" and "drama" were. I wish you luck.

We got a very rare White Christmas here in Glasgow - just about an inch or two, but that's something that hasn't happened in years. I am fortifying myself at the moment for the after-Christmas sales at the mega-mall. Why do I do this to myself? I don't know. I have a bad feeling that in the crush of the crowds my inner New Yorker will reveal herself sooner or later (IE you're on an escalator behind the usual Scottish rabble and the booming voice comes from the back "WILLYA MOVE YOUR FFFFFFG FAT ASS ALREADY")

(I was born on Long Island and although I lived all over the mid-atlantic states, never in one place for more than three years at a time, NY is in my DNA. You understand.)

I really should become a sitcom writer.

What did Santa bring Miki?
By Blogger Heather, at 4:31 AM
Oh by the way - my mother in law, who is of the generation that hyperventilates at the thought of learning computers, wants to know if you can recommend one small basic book on Feng Shui.
By Blogger Heather, at 4:36 AM