Shoe Craze
Ever since I turned 30, something clicked internally.
Most of the things that I would normally bypass or would not concern myself with, had a place in my home or head. I would wake up one morning and make a decision to do something about it.
So...one morning, sometime after my 30th birthday, it occurred to me that I didn't have enough shoes. Yep...got up, sat on my bed and said, "I don't have shoes."
Truthfully at the time, I did not own more than 10 pairs of casual and formal shoes (not like the hundred of pairs my colleagues or buddies have). I was brought up in a family where a new pair was bought only after the first pair died out - not to accomodate any fads or trends. I just realized that the crap I owned looked pretty darn pitiful since they were so beatened up from me stomping around.
And sure enough, I did. After the declaration on that faithful morning, I bought at least two pairs of shoes every month. Since I've stopped working, the shoe frenzy has since died out. There's no need to match this suit with that pair of Joan & Davids or Anne Kleins...now it's just comfy granny shoes. I chucked out the 10 original scuffed pairs and collected 30+ new pairs based on my shopping sprees in the past 2 1/2 years. Oh..and I lost another 5 pairs from the WTC disaster - not that it mattered, those were cheap shoes anyway.
So...during yesterday's mall shopping, I miraculously found my very-hard-to-find pair of boots. I eagerly picked them up and nearly walked home in it. The bad thing was...I was prepared to buy ANOTHER pair because it was on sale. The mere fact that I can pick up something and not even consider think twice about its cost is rather scary. I remember back in the good ol' college days where buying anything more than was 20 bucks would send me into some serious convulsions. Gosh, I sound like that Mormon girl at Chie's former company. She was counting her dimes and pennies at Houlihan's while I did the math in my head (rounding up...I wasn't gonna quibble over a buck). She was surprised at my wacky and blunt nature...I seemed to have turned over many stereotypes in the recent months.
Nowadays, I could give a rat's ass. I find it interesting that perspectives do change over time - money doesn't really mean a whole lot if you know what you're doing - everything in MODERATION, of course. I used to be such a frugal freak that I would only shop from the sale rack. But being stuck with something you don't wear because it's not so attractive (but cheap) doesn't float anyone's boat. I had to give all of it away to Goodwill and also realized that I was better off paying the full price of an outfit I'd wear 10x over. Decluttering your home does ground my shopping habits...now I'm into QUALITY!
Linda's Life's lesson: Having lots of nice shoes will make you think twice about settling for less.
Oy...I can't write today...I have jello on my mind.
Most of the things that I would normally bypass or would not concern myself with, had a place in my home or head. I would wake up one morning and make a decision to do something about it.
So...one morning, sometime after my 30th birthday, it occurred to me that I didn't have enough shoes. Yep...got up, sat on my bed and said, "I don't have shoes."
Truthfully at the time, I did not own more than 10 pairs of casual and formal shoes (not like the hundred of pairs my colleagues or buddies have). I was brought up in a family where a new pair was bought only after the first pair died out - not to accomodate any fads or trends. I just realized that the crap I owned looked pretty darn pitiful since they were so beatened up from me stomping around.
And sure enough, I did. After the declaration on that faithful morning, I bought at least two pairs of shoes every month. Since I've stopped working, the shoe frenzy has since died out. There's no need to match this suit with that pair of Joan & Davids or Anne Kleins...now it's just comfy granny shoes. I chucked out the 10 original scuffed pairs and collected 30+ new pairs based on my shopping sprees in the past 2 1/2 years. Oh..and I lost another 5 pairs from the WTC disaster - not that it mattered, those were cheap shoes anyway.
So...during yesterday's mall shopping, I miraculously found my very-hard-to-find pair of boots. I eagerly picked them up and nearly walked home in it. The bad thing was...I was prepared to buy ANOTHER pair because it was on sale. The mere fact that I can pick up something and not even consider think twice about its cost is rather scary. I remember back in the good ol' college days where buying anything more than was 20 bucks would send me into some serious convulsions. Gosh, I sound like that Mormon girl at Chie's former company. She was counting her dimes and pennies at Houlihan's while I did the math in my head (rounding up...I wasn't gonna quibble over a buck). She was surprised at my wacky and blunt nature...I seemed to have turned over many stereotypes in the recent months.
Nowadays, I could give a rat's ass. I find it interesting that perspectives do change over time - money doesn't really mean a whole lot if you know what you're doing - everything in MODERATION, of course. I used to be such a frugal freak that I would only shop from the sale rack. But being stuck with something you don't wear because it's not so attractive (but cheap) doesn't float anyone's boat. I had to give all of it away to Goodwill and also realized that I was better off paying the full price of an outfit I'd wear 10x over. Decluttering your home does ground my shopping habits...now I'm into QUALITY!
Linda's Life's lesson: Having lots of nice shoes will make you think twice about settling for less.
Oy...I can't write today...I have jello on my mind.
Comments:
Post a Comment
