Hindsight is 20/10
Yesterday, I decided at the very last minute to have lunch with my buddy, Terry Fong (I have too many friends named Terry) and as always, we'd have a blast. We share the same humor, work experience, and a whole lot more. One of the reasons why we get along so well, is simply because we both love playing practical jokes on other people. I know it sounds corny at this day and age, butI have been known to pull a few memorable stunts in the past. As a result, Terry and I feed off of each other's frenzy whenever we see each other.
Terry was introduced by a mutual friend of ours a few years back. Since then, we have shared a huge lot of jokes and retarded moments regarding our co-workers. He'd plaster toilet paper all over his colleagues' monitors while I remove his track ball from his mouse. Since I returned to Fido yesterday, it was inevitable that everyone would come and say hi to me and wonder WTF I am up to.
I decided to pay homage and see another friend of mine in the Systems group while Terry went to the boy's room. There were a few folks huddling around Srini's cube and I mentioned about the good ol' days where Terry would strategically placed dampened toilet paper on Kita's monitor. No sooner had I mentioned it, Terry approaches the area and tosses a wad of toilet paper at Srini. Instinctively, Srini actually CATCHES the damned thing since athletic folks have excellent responses due to their exceptional hand-eye coordination. But that doesn't mean they pay any attention to what's coming at 'em. Of course had it been me, it would've landed on the floor. I can't catch anything if my life depended on it. I was one of those kids who flunked gym and was a full-time benchwarmer.
I made my way back to Treasury and was greeted very warmly by my former peers. Thankfully, Tami (SVP, vile bi-otch, and a.k.a. Castro) was not in the area, so I extended my stay and chatted with a few favorite people. It was very nice to see their soft sides again, not the harsh, wretched and stressed souls they have become. Had I remained, I'd be a bitter and an eternally depraved hound for life. The minute I stepped into the area - it was like entering hell/purgatory. The negative energy I felt oozed from through their pores with a putrid sense of doom.
I kid you not, but as soon as I left, my hands felt FILTHY. It was as if I went shopping and rummaged through a pile of vintage clothing in the storeroom filled with cobwebs. All I did was go from one cubicle to the next and I can't scientifically explain how my hands felt so dusty and gritty. However, a feng shui specialist would say that the poisonous yin energy in the area clung onto me and I was trying to deflect it. Like having OCD, I rushed to wash my hands in the nearest sink.
Looking back, I realized that even your fiercest enemies would switch alliances when it comes to corporate politics. People whom once appeared decent and proper have now morphed into nasty and agressive individuals. I couldn't believe it, but I can now see their alter egos as clear as day. Being an external observer gives me the ability to see how bad things have become in Treasury. Gone are the niceties, strive of teamwork excellences or loyalty. Now it's all about me, myself and I.
So, Mikey made an interesting remark about my current 'job'. He says that people are all jealous and want me to rot in the same nightmare they're experiencing. Hah. Ptphphhtbbbhtphphthh!!! [blowing raspberries LOUDLY]
As negative as my experience was in Fidelity, I took it up to a whole different level. While I was cleaning urinals, I still made good friends and alliances which literally saved my ass. I refused to believe that you couldn't have fun at work. I had a great boss in my last position which proved my theory true.
Reeling back to Treasury, the morale and environment tumbled downhill thanks to new senior management. Because I was reorg'ed out of the area, I no longer reported into Castro's world. To prevent my new unit from executing our corporate initiatives, she trashed my reputation, slandered and raised hell to the President of the company. Nice. I felt warm and fuzzy about it...considering how stupid loyal I was to her during my stint working for her(we're talking, oh about, maybe 6-7 years?).
Why she trashed me? Oh, because I 'prematurely' congratulated Castro on her promotion. Yeah. Plus, she despised my boss, so she'd ANY opportunity to start a nasty fight.
In the past year, competent and brilliant people have left the group because of how bad things have become. Everyone is overworked, unappreciated, and worst of all, feels threatened. The area has become hostile and cold...like perestroika. No one is happy and the stress levels are almost unbearable. Furthermore, families and personal relationships have been torn apart since work has now compromised and entered into everyone's personal life. It's quite disturbing to see so much unhappiness under one roof. The last time I felt like this was 9/11, but that's a whole other ball of wax. One was a poignant and evil tragedy, on the hand, this is synthetically constructed wretchedness.
So, kudos to all of you who don't let your jobs run your life. Take it with a grain of salt if your job stinks and keep it outside of your home.
Terry was introduced by a mutual friend of ours a few years back. Since then, we have shared a huge lot of jokes and retarded moments regarding our co-workers. He'd plaster toilet paper all over his colleagues' monitors while I remove his track ball from his mouse. Since I returned to Fido yesterday, it was inevitable that everyone would come and say hi to me and wonder WTF I am up to.
I decided to pay homage and see another friend of mine in the Systems group while Terry went to the boy's room. There were a few folks huddling around Srini's cube and I mentioned about the good ol' days where Terry would strategically placed dampened toilet paper on Kita's monitor. No sooner had I mentioned it, Terry approaches the area and tosses a wad of toilet paper at Srini. Instinctively, Srini actually CATCHES the damned thing since athletic folks have excellent responses due to their exceptional hand-eye coordination. But that doesn't mean they pay any attention to what's coming at 'em. Of course had it been me, it would've landed on the floor. I can't catch anything if my life depended on it. I was one of those kids who flunked gym and was a full-time benchwarmer.
I made my way back to Treasury and was greeted very warmly by my former peers. Thankfully, Tami (SVP, vile bi-otch, and a.k.a. Castro) was not in the area, so I extended my stay and chatted with a few favorite people. It was very nice to see their soft sides again, not the harsh, wretched and stressed souls they have become. Had I remained, I'd be a bitter and an eternally depraved hound for life. The minute I stepped into the area - it was like entering hell/purgatory. The negative energy I felt oozed from through their pores with a putrid sense of doom.
I kid you not, but as soon as I left, my hands felt FILTHY. It was as if I went shopping and rummaged through a pile of vintage clothing in the storeroom filled with cobwebs. All I did was go from one cubicle to the next and I can't scientifically explain how my hands felt so dusty and gritty. However, a feng shui specialist would say that the poisonous yin energy in the area clung onto me and I was trying to deflect it. Like having OCD, I rushed to wash my hands in the nearest sink.
Looking back, I realized that even your fiercest enemies would switch alliances when it comes to corporate politics. People whom once appeared decent and proper have now morphed into nasty and agressive individuals. I couldn't believe it, but I can now see their alter egos as clear as day. Being an external observer gives me the ability to see how bad things have become in Treasury. Gone are the niceties, strive of teamwork excellences or loyalty. Now it's all about me, myself and I.
So, Mikey made an interesting remark about my current 'job'. He says that people are all jealous and want me to rot in the same nightmare they're experiencing. Hah. Ptphphhtbbbhtphphthh!!! [blowing raspberries LOUDLY]
As negative as my experience was in Fidelity, I took it up to a whole different level. While I was cleaning urinals, I still made good friends and alliances which literally saved my ass. I refused to believe that you couldn't have fun at work. I had a great boss in my last position which proved my theory true.
Reeling back to Treasury, the morale and environment tumbled downhill thanks to new senior management. Because I was reorg'ed out of the area, I no longer reported into Castro's world. To prevent my new unit from executing our corporate initiatives, she trashed my reputation, slandered and raised hell to the President of the company. Nice. I felt warm and fuzzy about it...considering how stupid loyal I was to her during my stint working for her(we're talking, oh about, maybe 6-7 years?).
Why she trashed me? Oh, because I 'prematurely' congratulated Castro on her promotion. Yeah. Plus, she despised my boss, so she'd ANY opportunity to start a nasty fight.
In the past year, competent and brilliant people have left the group because of how bad things have become. Everyone is overworked, unappreciated, and worst of all, feels threatened. The area has become hostile and cold...like perestroika. No one is happy and the stress levels are almost unbearable. Furthermore, families and personal relationships have been torn apart since work has now compromised and entered into everyone's personal life. It's quite disturbing to see so much unhappiness under one roof. The last time I felt like this was 9/11, but that's a whole other ball of wax. One was a poignant and evil tragedy, on the hand, this is synthetically constructed wretchedness.
So, kudos to all of you who don't let your jobs run your life. Take it with a grain of salt if your job stinks and keep it outside of your home.
Comments:
Post a Comment
