Mikayla Moment - A Golden Oldie
Mikayla abhors her summer school and still cries after five weeks of attending this Socialist/Communist institution. I would pull her out, but after paying a hefty price for tuition, we let her attend a few days instead of a full week. Of course, this worsens the situation, but what else can I do? It'll be over in a few weeks and she'll be home with me before returning to her old school. She misses her classmates and her teachers, so this will be a nice treat.
This summer school is Christian and her old school is Catholic, so their approach to religious studies is very different. Her old school incorporates it to their day-to-day learning experiences, whereas, the Commie crowd has it a few times a week called, "Bible Studies." I asked what the name of her teacher was, and her reply was "Barney, the purple dinosaur". My confusion stems from the fact that either bible studies was taught by a teacher donning a Barney costume or from a Barney video. Then again, I don't think Children's Workshop Television endorses or promotes religious studies.
Nevertheless, I was amused. I did receive confirmation that a group of Christian volunteers comes to the school weekly to teach the topic, but they all wear yellow tee shirts.
Anyway, these folks came over and passed out bracelets to every child with colorful beads. The beads symbolize some attribute taught in class and Mikayla was very proud of her new jewelry and the goodie bag she received that day. Now that she's four, the child is very interested in what things say on paper or on walls. So, there was a little colorful slip of paper stuck in the bag. I pulled it out and she takes it from me.
She eagerly points at the words and asks this: "Mommy, what does this say?"
She spells out all of the letters written on it: "G-o-d B-l-e-s-s Y-o-u"
I say, "God Bless You, dear."
Astonished, she replies, "Huh? Achoo? You sneeze?"
I died at that moment.
My, my, my, Bible Studies was taught oh so well.
Comments:
So, one of my lines that never fails to send people here into hysterics is the truthful admission that when I was Mikayla's age, I thought all British people spoke with a Cockney accent - because of "Dangermouse."
"oy, guvnor! stayk n' kidnie poy!" "Penfold, shush!"
This usually sends the hyperventilating occupants of the room into "Dangermouse" impersonations for a good five minutes.

