Ten of Pentacles - Linder's Version

Here is the place where the total mind dump takes no form or shape. Call it Verbal cubism!

Friday, February 11, 2005

Blog Hay Fat Choy! 

I'm still sore, but after today, I should be somewhat caught up with the rest of society.

Today was Miki's school party and after weeks of so-called preparation, it's finally over with. I came with up an efficient method to throw a party: two birthday cakes (for 3 birthday kids) and 20 happy meals. Moms LOVE the idea since it required less work and the kids weren't interested in fried rice or lo mein anymore.

Yesterday, we had a HUGE Chinese New Year celebration at school. It was absolutely endearing to see 95% of the children dressed in the traditional outfits and having a blast. For Miki's class, the teacher brought in a mountain of ground pork to make dumplings. Myself and another grandparent were in the kitchen wrapping up these dumplings and suffice to say, I made a total ass out of myself. Not only did my dumplings resembled roadkill, I somehow managed to get flour on my face. After making 20 pieces and inhaling really strong coffee, my dumplings started to look halfway decent.

For the remainder of the mixture, the teacher decided to have the kids make dumplings as part of the classroom activity. Interestingly enough, most of the kids were busy spreading the pork on the wrapper as though they were making quesadillas. We had so many leftovers that I was literally turning violet from the smell of chives. During my pregnancy, I developed a distaste for chives and could no longer tolerate them even after giving birth to the rugrat.

Thank goodness for their dumplings, at least now my dopey-looking ones can be camouflaged. Although it appeared to wasteful, tradition dictates excess to ensure abundance all year long.

Well, the celebration is 2 weeks long and it ends on the 23rd of February. I have to prepare another worship and feast to properly bring closure to the new year's celebration. Being in the States, it's very rare anyone adhering to the customs to the 't', so modifications are necessary to incorporate them in our mainstream culture. It's a lot of work since there are no shortcuts to the process. Either you choose to do it or don't.

Where's mommy when I need her?

Anyhoo, I can offically take a break this weekend. Now that Miki's "ongoing" birthday celebration is over (her actual birthdate, her Chinese New Year birthday and her party at school), no cleaning and maybe some cooking. A few days before CNY, I developed an abhorrence for cleaning. In fact, I wish I had OCD just so I could finish it up!!!

Thank god it's only once a year. But I try my best with maintenance so I wouldn't crash and burn at the end. The only element I forgot to forecast was my lack of desire to even clean. Interestingly enough, same time last year, I was overly gung-ho with reorganizing and cleaning that I was practically unstoppable. Now, the adrenaline is on sedatives and all I want to do is veg and do as little as possible. Work smarter, not harder!

Will be back tomorrow and hopefully I have something blogworthy. My brain is in the mud at this time...

Toodles!
Posted by lindikins @ 8:37 PM

Comments: