Poor Mikayla
She's home sick today. Today was supposed to be her first day back from Easter vacation and she was a bit sick since yesterday. Yep, you guessed it, the trip up to the cemetery did a number on her.
It was windy and sopping wet when we got up there. We tried to set up the worship but I retreated back into the car while my brave and idiotic brother planted the flowers in the monsoon. Miki was in the car with me, but she was also wet since she didn't want to sit in the car alone. After experiencing the large bout of cats and dogs being hurled from the sky, she decided that being in the car was a better idea.
Then the rain broke. We ran out of the car and tried to do everything within 20-25 minutes. It was so windy that I couldn't light up anything. I had to hide in the shelter of the car to light up the candles and incense sticks as well as cursing like a truck driver (with cigarettes in my mouth, of course). Highly unusual sight, if you were to see me.
The winds gusted from 25-30 mph. We had a difficult time keeping the fire ablaze and it kept going out from the windy bursts slamming down on us. We pooched the idea of burning individual pieces of paper (tradition dictates that the packs of paper be fanned out to burn completely) and practically dumped everything whole. Steve and I felt like we were on 'Fear Factor' because it felt like a race against time! Furthermore, we were running around like fools to pick up our garbage as the wind had blown our stuff everywhere. We were both chasing after pieces of joss paper that flew outta our hands or out of the burning bin.
I managed to light up a few pieces of incense for the neighboring gravestones out of respect. On a normal Ching Ming, I'd finish up the entire pack. That way, the neglected folks would still have a path towards reincarnation 'cuz somebody cared and they wouldn't harrass us if their souls were restless.
We wrapped up as soon as the incense burnt out and the first droplets of rain pelted on my head. I had to apologize to dad for doing a quick and dirty job because of the weather conditions and ran my ass outta there.
I think after 14 years of practicing this ritual, I can only recall ONE fine day. It was sunny, warm and not at all windy. Our kids were still in their diapers and we took our sweet time getting everything done.
So now I have to tend to a sick child. My mind is racing to get bills paid, taxes filed, bookkeeping records reconciled and my writing piece completed. I just got back seeing Miki's pediatrician and grabbing her meds on the way home. Did I mention how I had to clean up multiple events of reverse peristalsis by Miki?
Aiyah. I can't seem to get a break!
It was windy and sopping wet when we got up there. We tried to set up the worship but I retreated back into the car while my brave and idiotic brother planted the flowers in the monsoon. Miki was in the car with me, but she was also wet since she didn't want to sit in the car alone. After experiencing the large bout of cats and dogs being hurled from the sky, she decided that being in the car was a better idea.
Then the rain broke. We ran out of the car and tried to do everything within 20-25 minutes. It was so windy that I couldn't light up anything. I had to hide in the shelter of the car to light up the candles and incense sticks as well as cursing like a truck driver (with cigarettes in my mouth, of course). Highly unusual sight, if you were to see me.
The winds gusted from 25-30 mph. We had a difficult time keeping the fire ablaze and it kept going out from the windy bursts slamming down on us. We pooched the idea of burning individual pieces of paper (tradition dictates that the packs of paper be fanned out to burn completely) and practically dumped everything whole. Steve and I felt like we were on 'Fear Factor' because it felt like a race against time! Furthermore, we were running around like fools to pick up our garbage as the wind had blown our stuff everywhere. We were both chasing after pieces of joss paper that flew outta our hands or out of the burning bin.
I managed to light up a few pieces of incense for the neighboring gravestones out of respect. On a normal Ching Ming, I'd finish up the entire pack. That way, the neglected folks would still have a path towards reincarnation 'cuz somebody cared and they wouldn't harrass us if their souls were restless.
We wrapped up as soon as the incense burnt out and the first droplets of rain pelted on my head. I had to apologize to dad for doing a quick and dirty job because of the weather conditions and ran my ass outta there.
I think after 14 years of practicing this ritual, I can only recall ONE fine day. It was sunny, warm and not at all windy. Our kids were still in their diapers and we took our sweet time getting everything done.
So now I have to tend to a sick child. My mind is racing to get bills paid, taxes filed, bookkeeping records reconciled and my writing piece completed. I just got back seeing Miki's pediatrician and grabbing her meds on the way home. Did I mention how I had to clean up multiple events of reverse peristalsis by Miki?
Aiyah. I can't seem to get a break!
Comments:
Post a Comment
It's not "ching ming" but -
my mom told us that her memorial service was to be funny and upbeat, no sobbing or prayer or anything like that. She told us to have a good time and get drunk and do karaoke afterwards.
So after the memorial service, we've changed into jeans and are off to have a good time, and what's the very first song we hear on the radio?
"I Will Survive" by Gloria Gaynor.
We almost pissed ourselves laughing.
To this day the song cracks me up.
Leave it to Mom to start her afterlife off with a really sick joke. :)
my mom told us that her memorial service was to be funny and upbeat, no sobbing or prayer or anything like that. She told us to have a good time and get drunk and do karaoke afterwards.
So after the memorial service, we've changed into jeans and are off to have a good time, and what's the very first song we hear on the radio?
"I Will Survive" by Gloria Gaynor.
We almost pissed ourselves laughing.
To this day the song cracks me up.
Leave it to Mom to start her afterlife off with a really sick joke. :)

