Ten of Pentacles - Linder's Version

Here is the place where the total mind dump takes no form or shape. Call it Verbal cubism!

Sunday, April 24, 2005

UK Travel Journal - Day 4 4/24/05 (Part II) 

WARWICK CASTLE

After having yet another Mickey D’s lunch, the six of us headed off to the ancient Warwick Castle. The lads were probably imagining swashbuckling fights between the good and the bad, fiery winged dragons and horrifying screams originating from the torture chambers.

It was a gorgeous day and had warmed up tremendously. Picture time!

We pulled into a parking lot which was a flat grassy area accommodating smaller vehicles. All of the tour buses had a direct route to the castle’s entrance, so we had to walk quite a bit to get to our destination. I would feel sorry for my friends out on the West Coast - they’d be carted off on gurneys for having to walk this much!

While we were on line purchasing our tickets, we noticed that there was a family rate and decided group ourselves together (saved a whopping £2). Richard, Ben, Joe and I were “the family” and Ching became the single mom to Sam. As soon as we got to the entrance, our brats bolted and disappeared on us. Since Ching was also nowhere to be found, I knew they couldn’t have gotten too far. Then I heard some giggling coming from above…the hooligans were hiding in the overpass above the gate. Ching yelled over, “What kind of parents are you? You’ve lost all of your kids!”

“Let them be lost so I don’t have to feed them!” – People were a little taken by my sarcastic remark…but really, we’re such a dysfunctional lot, aren’t we? Now how do a Chinese mom and British sod have such good looking children who look nothing like either of the two?

So we enter the Castle grounds and started to fumble around the map. No more than a few seconds passed, Joe sprinted off, along with Sam and Ben following after him. They barreled through the entrance of the Infamous Dungeon where the prisoners were tortured and locked away. Unfortunately, they cut and shoved through the long line of visitors. I was mortified as one of the girls on line had gotten reamed out by her father over the lads and seeing the disappointed expression of these visitors.

Ching, Richard and I turned beet red since we had to wait for our turn on line to get into the Dungeon. Not only were we separated, I was hissing that I’d rip them a butthole if they didn’t come out in a few minutes. Wow, they must’ve heard me psychically because they emerged from the entrance as soon the thought crossed my mind.

Although they appeared to be overjoyed, I reprimanded them over their behavior and put their moods to a damper. I hated yelling at the boys, but seeing someone else getting blamed for something that was clearly not her fault put me at an unfavorable position. I took away their fun privileges: no treats, no souvenirs, nada. I coined myself the title, Linda the Tyrant. I wasn’t especially keen on chastising my friends’ kids and I'll trade with their parents to do the job!

I felt bad because I knew that they wanted to do more, but it was hard since the castle/museum is hardly a place for them to break free and run around. Plus, Ching was so enthralled with taking scenic pictures (girlfriend bought a $400+ digital camera just for THIS trip!), they were having a tough time staying still for more than 3 minutes.

We all went through the entire castle going from one end of the Tower to the next. The medieval castle was fantastic and remarkably well preserved. Ching was completely blown away with the scenery and the antiquity of the castle. Walking the stairs proved to be a bit of a challenge as they spiraled narrowly, were horribly steep, and worst of all, completely dark. My sneakers were scuffed from trying to feel my way going up and down the continuous stairs. There are signs plastered everywhere stating that those individuals who are not in the best of health should not be taking the stairs. The boys, however, had the best time since they loved climbing up and down and tried to count the 503 stairs going up the Guy Tower. The rugrats stopped counting at 80-something due to the darkness.

I wanted to deck Richard in the face when he mentioned how we could create a really cool domino effect if we slipped and fell down the stairs. NOT! He actually managed to walk those stairs with the camera in hand, so I gotta give him four stars for this magnificent feat!

When we reached the highest tower, we parked our butts for a little bit since we were out of breath. With all of that work getting up there, dammit, we’re gonna soak up the atmosphere! Of course, the lads were getting bored again.

Sam suggested visiting certain areas and whenever I approved, the three were ready to dash off again. I had to rein them back in by reminding them that we all had to wait for Ching as this was her favorite attraction and needed more time to appreciate these surroundings. To ensure that I had the proper body count, each child was referred to as 1, 2, & 3. Every 10 minutes I’d be counting heads and so did Richard.

To reward them for their patience, Richard treated them to some ice cream and dammit, the stuff is awesome. Why can’t we have that stuff here in the US? Ice cream bar with white chocolate on the outside and creamy yummy vanilla on the inside?!

[Interestingly enough, Joe seems to have some sort of inferiority complex since he’s the middle kid. Everywhere we went; he’d always be first in the pack and would always walk or run ahead of his 2 older brothers. Ben has a habit of hinting and soliciting for things that catch his eye which leads us to believe that he’ll make a great barrister or politician since he’s capable of being a total pain in the arse. But in the same token, he’s very affectionate and extremely helpful which makes him so loving. Sam, is actually reserved and observant and will ask for things only once. He can get pretty darn rowdy when left to his own devices and that damned killer grin…thank god he’s not my age! Friggen decided to play his own version of “Pooh Sticks” – using spit! OY!]

Afterwards, we headed home for Ben’s little birthday party. I strategically placed Sam next to me and I passed out on the way home. Because of the darned headrest on the seat, I couldn’t lay my head back (disadvantages of being vertically challenged). Without the support, my head kept rolling around like a pendulum and occasionally knocking into Sam’s head. I would wake up for a moment with Sam in hysterics as my head would continue to loll back and forth. At least it provided the lads some form of entertainment during the hour-plus drive!

At home, mum and dad eagerly asked how their kids behaved…I had to break in the bad news. So Ben lost his mobile phone privileges (he argued that it was his birthday, but mum shot down the notion), while both Sam & Joe were both grounded. It was bad enough getting yelled by me and then by their own parents, so I didn’t add any more salt to the wound. I didn’t tell mum about how they were touching the displays (when they weren’t supposed to) poking out the eyeballs of the life-sized wax figures, and trying to pick up the accessories adorned by the figures (Sarah & Andy, now you know!).

Next: Shopping at ASDA

Posted by lindikins @ 5:54 PM

Comments: