UK Travel Journal - Day 4 4/24/05
STRATFORD-UPON-AVON
Okay, um, what did I do on that fateful Sunday?
Oh yes, I decided to go to Stratford-Upon-Avon & the Warwick Castle with Ching & Richard. Quite honestly, I wasn't exceptionally keen since I've already seen a few English castles back in 1998 and snoozed through Shakespeare in school (Andy's nan lives there, so his response to the trip was: ain't nothing but a bunch of old houses there!). Nevertheless, I didn't mind going since I hadn't been there before - let's see more of the English terrain!
Again, Ching offered to take Sam & Ben (it was also Ben's 10th birthday) and I'd thought I should come along to watch the lads. After all, someone needs to go "Oooh", "OMG", or "WOW!" on this trip (that would be Ching, she loves English Lit). Ching also has a tendency to be completely, utterly and absolutely engrossed with new and fascinating surroundings; thereby forgetting to watch the rugrat(s) altogether. It's also what I refer to as "environmental absorption".
Unfortunately, this isn't what I call a kid-friendly trip. I was well aware of it since I had to chaperone 20+ antsy Pre-K children on their school trips. Without a doubt, I can tell you that they'll blow right by the displays and start whining how hungry or parched they are. I figured I could let Ching enjoy the Shakespearean Town and the British Castle, while I go entertain the 2 boys.
We got up at some ungodly hour in the morning, with the lads dressed and ready to bolt. Our necessary cups of java and tea were waiting for us the moment we emerged from the dead. This time, we also brought Joe, Child #3, on the trip as the poor soul was always excluded in many activities because he wasn't old enough.
So off we went. I sat in the back of the car since the kids insisted that we alternate seating coming and going to these places. Okay, whatever.
Speed Demon Richard has a tendency to jerk the car rather abruptly when changing lanes or going through the roundabouts, causing everyone in the back to see stars and orbits (Six Flags Great Adventure in the UK!). But in my case, I was turning green due to some strong detergent or some heavily scented odor. So, I rolled down the window. Being a chronic complainer when it comes to the cold, Ching sensed something was up.
When we arrived to S-U-A, I bolted out of the car and gasped for air. All six of us headed into the empty town as it was very early in the morning. Later, I asked Ching to switch seats with me since I couldn't deal with the pungent perfume...so she rounds up the lads and grabs each of them one by one. She takes a whiff of their shirts and points at Ben. "It's him", she says.
Shocked, he wanted to know what she doing. Ching gleefully replied that he won the best smell contest. I had to laugh over that creative explanation...turns out that Ben has a HUGE crush on Ching and slapped a whopping load of his dad's aftershave! OY! When I got home later that evening, I asked Andy if he used any aftershave and yessiree he did!
We hung out for a little bit and ventured into bookstores and shops along the way. Managing the kids' hyperactivity ensured that I wouldn't have to pay for broken items. They kept hinting for us to buy them stuff, but really, the items they picked out were total crap. What is Ben going to do with plastic ruler with Shakespeare's face or Joe with a magnet that said, "Better a witty fool than foolish wit"?
I switched on my drill sargeant mode and ordered them about. I caught Ching on the brink of caving in, but as a parent, I can't help but to place limits. Ben got smart by informing me about the 99p sale table, but I shot the notion down quickly. It's not that I'm a stickler about money (trust me, I used to be), but I'd rather get them some decent toys. books to read, or even a happy meal. Not useless junk - bad, bad, bad feng shui!
We had a lovely AM walk around the area, snapped some pictures and hopped on a boat ride. Each adult had a kiddie partner, so we could "equally" watch them closely.
Unfortunately, I was forced to play bad guy again when Joe insisted that we cross over the canal to play at some kiddie park with a inflatable castle to bounce around in. Ching has a habit of going, "We'll see," while I just barged in with a loud, "No, sorry. We don't have enough time since we're going to the Warwick Castle. Unless you don't want to go." She adores all of the lads and would go out of her way to please them. I take on the role of being mediator and set realistic goals for everyone, including time management.
Next stop: Warwick Castle
Okay, um, what did I do on that fateful Sunday?
Oh yes, I decided to go to Stratford-Upon-Avon & the Warwick Castle with Ching & Richard. Quite honestly, I wasn't exceptionally keen since I've already seen a few English castles back in 1998 and snoozed through Shakespeare in school (Andy's nan lives there, so his response to the trip was: ain't nothing but a bunch of old houses there!). Nevertheless, I didn't mind going since I hadn't been there before - let's see more of the English terrain!
Again, Ching offered to take Sam & Ben (it was also Ben's 10th birthday) and I'd thought I should come along to watch the lads. After all, someone needs to go "Oooh", "OMG", or "WOW!" on this trip (that would be Ching, she loves English Lit). Ching also has a tendency to be completely, utterly and absolutely engrossed with new and fascinating surroundings; thereby forgetting to watch the rugrat(s) altogether. It's also what I refer to as "environmental absorption".
Unfortunately, this isn't what I call a kid-friendly trip. I was well aware of it since I had to chaperone 20+ antsy Pre-K children on their school trips. Without a doubt, I can tell you that they'll blow right by the displays and start whining how hungry or parched they are. I figured I could let Ching enjoy the Shakespearean Town and the British Castle, while I go entertain the 2 boys.
We got up at some ungodly hour in the morning, with the lads dressed and ready to bolt. Our necessary cups of java and tea were waiting for us the moment we emerged from the dead. This time, we also brought Joe, Child #3, on the trip as the poor soul was always excluded in many activities because he wasn't old enough.
So off we went. I sat in the back of the car since the kids insisted that we alternate seating coming and going to these places. Okay, whatever.
Speed Demon Richard has a tendency to jerk the car rather abruptly when changing lanes or going through the roundabouts, causing everyone in the back to see stars and orbits (Six Flags Great Adventure in the UK!). But in my case, I was turning green due to some strong detergent or some heavily scented odor. So, I rolled down the window. Being a chronic complainer when it comes to the cold, Ching sensed something was up.
When we arrived to S-U-A, I bolted out of the car and gasped for air. All six of us headed into the empty town as it was very early in the morning. Later, I asked Ching to switch seats with me since I couldn't deal with the pungent perfume...so she rounds up the lads and grabs each of them one by one. She takes a whiff of their shirts and points at Ben. "It's him", she says.
Shocked, he wanted to know what she doing. Ching gleefully replied that he won the best smell contest. I had to laugh over that creative explanation...turns out that Ben has a HUGE crush on Ching and slapped a whopping load of his dad's aftershave! OY! When I got home later that evening, I asked Andy if he used any aftershave and yessiree he did!
We hung out for a little bit and ventured into bookstores and shops along the way. Managing the kids' hyperactivity ensured that I wouldn't have to pay for broken items. They kept hinting for us to buy them stuff, but really, the items they picked out were total crap. What is Ben going to do with plastic ruler with Shakespeare's face or Joe with a magnet that said, "Better a witty fool than foolish wit"?
I switched on my drill sargeant mode and ordered them about. I caught Ching on the brink of caving in, but as a parent, I can't help but to place limits. Ben got smart by informing me about the 99p sale table, but I shot the notion down quickly. It's not that I'm a stickler about money (trust me, I used to be), but I'd rather get them some decent toys. books to read, or even a happy meal. Not useless junk - bad, bad, bad feng shui!
We had a lovely AM walk around the area, snapped some pictures and hopped on a boat ride. Each adult had a kiddie partner, so we could "equally" watch them closely.
Unfortunately, I was forced to play bad guy again when Joe insisted that we cross over the canal to play at some kiddie park with a inflatable castle to bounce around in. Ching has a habit of going, "We'll see," while I just barged in with a loud, "No, sorry. We don't have enough time since we're going to the Warwick Castle. Unless you don't want to go." She adores all of the lads and would go out of her way to please them. I take on the role of being mediator and set realistic goals for everyone, including time management.
Next stop: Warwick Castle
Comments:
Post a Comment
