Ten of Pentacles - Linder's Version

Here is the place where the total mind dump takes no form or shape. Call it Verbal cubism!

Wednesday, April 27, 2005

UK Travel Journal - Day 7 4/27/05 

Although we spent 5 days with Sarah & Andy (I think I’m going to refer them as SAndy to save myself a few keystrokes), time flew right by us. The level of comfort was so delightfully pleasant that it seemed unfathomable for Ching, who has only known about Sarah through me. Ching did an excellent job in concealing her apprehension, but once she met them in the flesh, every bit of it was ebbed away by the waves of their warmth and graciousness.

[First it started out with a brief letter from Sarah, instant connection. Then comes Andy, and now Ching. Circle is now complete. They love her to death and probably wonder why Ching hangs out w/ a loon like me.]

Anyhoo, we frenetically packed and reluctantly parted our ways with Andy & Sarah, who trying to hold back the tears (Awwww!!). To me, good-byes have an uncanny sense of finality which never sat well with me, so I prefer to say ‘so long for now’. Although some of the lads thought we’d return from London, I’d rather depart without saying anything and showing up later in life with a toothy smile. Sarah blarted when she first met in Birmingham rail station and again, when I departed to London back in ’98. She's such a sweetheart.

Only punctual on arrival, Richard drove us to the B’ham coach station. He made it just in a nick of time. Whew! One of the annoying things about England is that the public loo is not always free and requires specific change. Rummaging through our pockets and purses, no one had 20p handy. Oy. Ching will have to wait. Off to London we go!

Upon our arrival, it was raining cats & dogs again. Aiyah, such is my luck. Fortunately, it stopped for a moment when we left Victoria Coach station to catch the Tube. I was caught off guard traveling in London because I had forgotten that the underground rail was not designed for disabled passengers as they are in the US. So I had to drag, pull, and lug my heavy suitcase up and down those blasted stairs with a gazillion commuters shuffling by. I was also carrying about a quarter of Ching’s stuff 'cuz it didn’t fit in her small upright.

Like all of the tourists, we got on those long lines to ask for specific directions getting to Bayswater. Although I could read those Tube maps, I wanted to be absolutely sure and get my ass over to the hotel in one piece. Sweaty and damned tired from walking in circles, we felt relieved when we arrived at our ultimate destination. Although Richard wasn’t driving us around in the roundabouts, we were literally walking in circles thanks to crappy maps that neglect to add “You Are Here” when you leave the station.

Cutting to the chase, we asked this cute American guy for directions to Princes Square as my arm was ready to give way. Okay, I’m really enjoying the sights ‘round these parts… ;o)

Well, we found Princes Square, all right. BUT how on earth do these postal carriers deliver mail to these places?? I mean, the numbers are inconsistent and the streets even extend perpendicularly without any indication. It’s not like the numbering system we have here where the odd numbers are one side and the even ones are on the opposite street. Again, we walked in dizzying circles and almost missed our hotel when I realized the number went from 20-something to the 80’s by crossing only one street. Oy.

I eagerly check into our lovely and modern hotel – Somerset Bayswater – and was extremely satisfied over my choice when I booked the room as part of the Virgin Vacation package. During my first visit to London, my hotel room was clean but a massive disappointment for a lousy £297. If the room description does not include ‘private bath’, then expect to haul your ass out on the floor the same way you showered back when you were in the college dorms. Plus, the furniture was so beatened up that Salvation Army would laugh in your face.

For the price we paid, this an excellent room which included a kitchenette, satellite TV, mini stereo system, microsuede décor and best of all, A FULL SHOWER! We had to unpack, unwind and unleash our burst of energy being in London. Took a lovely walk around the posh neighborhood and in Kensington Park. Guess what we decided for dinner?

Chinese.

Yes, of all things in this part of the globe, Chinese food. I wasn’t disappointed because Chinese food is actually better in the UK than it is in the States. I absolutely can not consume any of the stuff made in those quickie takeout restaurants catered to non-Asian palettes. Meal items like Chicken w/ Broccoli, Egg Foo Young, or Chop Suey have a particular aftertaste reminiscent of kerosene & citronella mixed together. And if you’ve worked in a restaurant at some point in your life (like moi), you wouldn’t touch any of it for the rest of your life. There’s only ONE exception to this rule and it’s extended to Ching’s parents. Because they are excellent cooks, the stuff is concocted of pure love with great taste.

Never in my life did I think a serving of Chinese vegetables would look so damn good, especially since I was turning green from everyone chowing at enormous quantities of junk food all day. Ugh. We wolfed down our meal heartily and explored some more of Bayswater. The area was superb - filled with shops, stores, internet cafes and restaurants opened LATE. We made pit stops to load up on some goodies and went back to the hotel for some Rest & Research for our London agenda. Also, we were expecting Richard to stop by and meet us here tomorrow to properly enjoy and see the city. Honestly, Richard wasn’t exactly keen about London, but he had a philosophy of “Been there, done that.” Served us well!

Posted by lindikins @ 9:15 PM

Comments:

The take-out Chinese down the main street in any given town in Britain is atrocious, but the sit-down restaurants in Chinatown in London are incredible. Don't know if you found the pedestrian street where it's ALL Chinese restaurants - *the whole street* - and any one of them is guaranteed to be the best you've ever had in your life.
By Blogger Heather, at 4:32 AM
I didn't get to Chinatown this time, but I was there back in 1998. Fortunately, the Chinese restaurants in Bayswater were good enough to make me NOT miss home at all. There were a few restaurants side by side and we picked the one with the most Chinese people in it!
By Blogger lindikins, at 11:54 PM