Favorite Picks
Since I'm obsessing over my skin and cosmetics this week, I've compiled a list of my favorite to-die-for products:
Estee Lauder Almond Clay Pack
A little goes a long way (Cost: $30+)
Creme de la Mer moisturizing cream
Overpriced, but a great indulgence (.24 oz for $25, less on ebay)
agnes b. Rouge
Nice colors and pricing is affordable - better than buying the stuff at Duane Reade or Target (Cost after 50% sale: $5.99)
Dove Shampoo & Conditioner
Fabulous scent, cheap and CLEAN (Cost: $3.29)
Muji Facial Scrub
Available only in the UK & Japan, their skincare is inexpensive and lasts for eons
(Cost: £3.50)
Naive Bath Soap
Smells heavenly, non-drying and found in Japanese supermarkets (Cost: $1.50)
Fa Bath Soap - Pink
Unique floral scent, hard to find in the US, but great European stuff! (Cost: $1.50 for 2)
Estee Lauder Crystal Glow Scrub
Spa quality, smooth and soft skin (Cost: $30+)
Lush Bath Bombs
TO DIE FOR! (Cost: $6)
Burt's Bees Lip Balm
Feels great, non-drying and handy (Cost: $1.99)
Due to my insatiable thirst to find the 'ultimate' product, I also have a list of to-die-for household items. I really don't believe in getting down on your knees and scrub with lye, if there's a product that will reduce the time and effort, why not?
I will confess to purchasing excessive amounts of useless crap, but I think the attraction is more or less related to the presentation of the product. In other words, if the packaging looks good, I'm gonna buy it. Maybe that's why I like Japanese art, food, and merchandise. In truth, I even don't use half of the stuff I buy, but I do like obtaining. Silly me.
Estee Lauder Almond Clay Pack
A little goes a long way (Cost: $30+)
Creme de la Mer moisturizing cream
Overpriced, but a great indulgence (.24 oz for $25, less on ebay)
agnes b. Rouge
Nice colors and pricing is affordable - better than buying the stuff at Duane Reade or Target (Cost after 50% sale: $5.99)
Dove Shampoo & Conditioner
Fabulous scent, cheap and CLEAN (Cost: $3.29)
Muji Facial Scrub
Available only in the UK & Japan, their skincare is inexpensive and lasts for eons
(Cost: £3.50)
Naive Bath Soap
Smells heavenly, non-drying and found in Japanese supermarkets (Cost: $1.50)
Fa Bath Soap - Pink
Unique floral scent, hard to find in the US, but great European stuff! (Cost: $1.50 for 2)
Estee Lauder Crystal Glow Scrub
Spa quality, smooth and soft skin (Cost: $30+)
Lush Bath Bombs
TO DIE FOR! (Cost: $6)
Burt's Bees Lip Balm
Feels great, non-drying and handy (Cost: $1.99)
Due to my insatiable thirst to find the 'ultimate' product, I also have a list of to-die-for household items. I really don't believe in getting down on your knees and scrub with lye, if there's a product that will reduce the time and effort, why not?
I will confess to purchasing excessive amounts of useless crap, but I think the attraction is more or less related to the presentation of the product. In other words, if the packaging looks good, I'm gonna buy it. Maybe that's why I like Japanese art, food, and merchandise. In truth, I even don't use half of the stuff I buy, but I do like obtaining. Silly me.
Comments:
Post a Comment
Right:
Day moisturizer: Neal's Yard Remedies
Yarrow & Comfrey Moisturiser, £13
Night moisturizer: NYR Vitamin E and Avocado - £13 - you can feel it sinking in
Cleanser: NYR Chamomile Cleanser - £12.25 - if they can't get it off your face it's immortal
Deep hair treatment - NYR Rosemary & Cedarwood Hair treatment - £7.00 - it's a solid block of three different oils and nothing else
All of the above from http://www.nealsyardremediesusa.com/
Shampoo: Lush soft water shampoo bar - £5 give or take - it's basically egg and a mild soap - best stuff ever
Deep body scrub: Sainsbury's Active Naturals - sea salt in oil with Japanese seaweed as an exfoliant - damn!
Deep facial scrub: Lush - Brazen Honey - basically honey and sand - cuz if your face doesn't hurt it wasn't good enough :P
Day moisturizer: Neal's Yard Remedies
Yarrow & Comfrey Moisturiser, £13
Night moisturizer: NYR Vitamin E and Avocado - £13 - you can feel it sinking in
Cleanser: NYR Chamomile Cleanser - £12.25 - if they can't get it off your face it's immortal
Deep hair treatment - NYR Rosemary & Cedarwood Hair treatment - £7.00 - it's a solid block of three different oils and nothing else
All of the above from http://www.nealsyardremediesusa.com/
Shampoo: Lush soft water shampoo bar - £5 give or take - it's basically egg and a mild soap - best stuff ever
Deep body scrub: Sainsbury's Active Naturals - sea salt in oil with Japanese seaweed as an exfoliant - damn!
Deep facial scrub: Lush - Brazen Honey - basically honey and sand - cuz if your face doesn't hurt it wasn't good enough :P
BTW - in Paris the ONLY souvenirs I bought were at the Japanese culture centre (that is so me - in Paris, shopping Japanese.) You round a corner and there's this glass window in to the centre's shop that's about 30 feet of nothing but ceramic tea sets: beautifully hand-fired cups in dazzling patterns, etc. The patterned origami paper was sooo tempting but I just got some little ceramic cats for my collection (will have to show you this.)
There must be a Japanese cultural centre in NYC, I won't make any references to the 1930s or 1940s if you go, promise :)
There must be a Japanese cultural centre in NYC, I won't make any references to the 1930s or 1940s if you go, promise :)
Cool listing! Now you've got me hooked on Lush...
No, I won't look back at the 1930's - 1940's simply because it wasn't my time and country. However, there are REAL good stories by mum during that period.
My idea of Japanese Cultural Center: Mitsuwa - Japanese Megastore.
OH YEAH BABY!
Hmm...good point, I had forgotten about those cultural centers in the city. I've been to the one out in LA - very historical and charming - and it's right next to Little Tokyo - YUM!!!!
Yes, I have food on my mind now.
No, I won't look back at the 1930's - 1940's simply because it wasn't my time and country. However, there are REAL good stories by mum during that period.
My idea of Japanese Cultural Center: Mitsuwa - Japanese Megastore.
OH YEAH BABY!
Hmm...good point, I had forgotten about those cultural centers in the city. I've been to the one out in LA - very historical and charming - and it's right next to Little Tokyo - YUM!!!!
Yes, I have food on my mind now.
The shampoo bars are kind of an odd mental block to get over ("rub a bar of soap? On my head?") but one use and you'll never go back to squeezy bottle again.
They make hard and soft water versions. Scotland has very soft water but when I first moved here I used the hard water one to strip out all the urban goo, pollution, and built-up minerals, etc. Unbelievable.
On the subject of origami paper - look at my new phone - http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0001GAXVE - you open it up and customize it with whatever paper inserts you want. (Only I would choose a new phone based on obsessive decor potential.)
(OK, you'd do it too.)
They make hard and soft water versions. Scotland has very soft water but when I first moved here I used the hard water one to strip out all the urban goo, pollution, and built-up minerals, etc. Unbelievable.
On the subject of origami paper - look at my new phone - http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0001GAXVE - you open it up and customize it with whatever paper inserts you want. (Only I would choose a new phone based on obsessive decor potential.)
(OK, you'd do it too.)

