Ode to Heather --
One of the fringe benefits of having a medical professional around the house is the free subscription of eclectic and occasionally interesting magazines. Publishing firms obtain our home address through medical membership renewals and voila, I get free copies for a year.
Recently, I’ve received something called “Absolute” targeted specifically to the NY’s social elite. Hmmm. How did we get on this list??!!
The content does not capture much of my attention, but their photography and layout is indeed fantastic. For $8 per issue, you wonder why it’s not available at your local kiosk. They ‘spared’ no expense with the so-called quality for publication - approximately 90 lb stock used for the cover and 12 lb for the inner pages. That’s some serious printing there.
It goes into my recycling bin after I’m done thumbing through it. As nice as it appears, the topics bore me and the writing is mediocre - even though they invite some top writers and professionals in the entertainment industry. Those confessional articles found in Allure magazine have more beef than the drywall found in Absolute. Maybe the contributors and editors oughta have a few ounces of Absolut vodka before finalizing it.
However, this month’s issue captured my attention. On page 70, there was an excerpt about a new talent by the name of Heather Burns. Okay, it’s not the same Heather Burns I know and blog, but seeing the name in bold and large captions hit me like a ton of bricks. Although the two women look nothing alike, the only similarity I could see were the light blue eyes boring into your soul. Hmmm…
But that’s not all. Towards the end of the magazine, BAM! Another piece gripping me breathlessly: Roman Bath Holiday. Eight mesmerizing pages of Georgian splendor.
I received a concise tour guide of
Coincidence? I think not. I know there’s a message in all of this, but I’m not sure what it is yet.
Comments:
That is funny, but no, it's not me.
Oh my. Has Pandora's Box been locked up yet?
I got the message. I found it underneath the title of the article:
REBIRTH
'Nuff said.
today at my temp job we had a mass mailing of 1500 to go out (cover letter, brochure, and glossy newsletter.) No way of getting around it, everyone had to pitch in and spend a few hours collating and stuffing it all in windowed envelopes. It wasn't all bad, it's a bit of an abdominal workout anyway.
I was very mechanical about it (collate - stuff - fold - collate - stuff - fold) and there's no reason to read the names on the cover letters. So I stuffed 650, and breathed a big sigh of completion, and flipped the stack over, and happened to read the name on the letter on the top.
It was to the first boss I ever had in Scotland, a woman so visibly unstable that I had to run away from the job. Literally. Sprinting to a train station for my own safety. (I do mean to tell that story)
So what were the chances of that?

