Ten of Pentacles - Linder's Version

Here is the place where the total mind dump takes no form or shape. Call it Verbal cubism!

Thursday, July 21, 2005

Mikayla's Soul On Board 

Yesterday, I received 3 packages in the mail - all ebay auction wins. Like a kid who woke up on Xmas morning, I went through my new 'toys' individually and inspected for any potential flaws.

So far so good...

I won a copy of Curt Smith's "Soul on Board" album released back in 1993 (not cheap, I assure you). It wasn't as bad as some grumpy folks claim, and like one reviewer on amazon.com, it's actually nice to just HEAR Curt's voice for a change. Quite honestly, I never preferred Roland over Curt when I listened to Tears for Fears. However, I always thought Curt was cuter (and still do!) than Roland. I will admit that when Curt left, it was rather disheartening and I stopped following them after 1990.

[BTW, for you male pigs out there, Roland and Curt are HOT in person. So quit knocking at them and deal with the fact you'll never have screaming females after you.]

But rest assured, I'm not obsessed as some folks think I am. Not so. It's not as though I know what they eat for breakfast, follow Caroline Orzabal's artwork, wake up in the morning and say to myself, "now I know who politician granny is!" or name my kids after them or people related to them.

No kidding, but I met these retarded folks at the Today Show last year and one woman named her son, Raoul (after Roland - his birth name was actually Raoul but his mum changed her mind since she wanted his name to sound a bit more English AND Roland's kid is also named Raoul). Another woman named her daughter, Diva, after Curt's daughter. Sorry, but I still like Mikayla better. Even if I had a son, Roland Chan or Curt Chan doesn't have a ring to it.

Uh, no. I prefer to read about their philosophies and ideals and leave at that.

So Mikayla kinda, sorta follows mum's so-called passion with Tears for Fears and was deathly curious to know what I was listening to. I had my headphones plugged into the puter becauase I wanted to hear it LOUD. She spotted Curt's solo album and like a typical 5-year-old, fired off a slew of questions yet again:

Miki: Mommy, where's Roland?

Mum: Roland's not on this CD. It's only Curt.

Miki: But WHY Mommy? WHY? [frowns]

Mum: Because Curt wants to make his own music. He wants to use his own ideas and music.

Miki: BUT NO!!

Mum: Why not?

Miki: Roland has to sing! Curt and Roland supposed to be together!

Mum: But this isn't Tears for Fears, it's just Curt and his own band.

Miki: But how can Roland sing without Curt? They HAVE TO BE TOGETHER!



Man...I don't think I've seen my kid so distraught over something so...um, what's the word, trivial?!
Posted by lindikins @ 10:50 PM

Comments:

sorry - I just forwarded Miki's dialogue to Curt - that's almost as good as the one...nevermind.
By Blogger Heather, at 6:01 AM
No worries!

Actually, I think the dialogue about dinosaurs made in China was much better. You should've seen the look on my kid's face when Curt was "singing by himself". It was genuinely a Kodak moment. She has a thing for Roland...do crushes start that early?

How's the new job?!

My current 'job' has taken to a few twists and turns recently - the patients in the waiting area are always asking me how much money I make. They see that I don't quite fit the Chinatown profile because my English is 'too' good, so they're curious. I usually tell them that I'm some college intern working for nada - they ACTUALLY buy my story! I don't bother revealing my 'identity' - no one needs to know who I am and how I'm related to the doctor. Or else I'll have to deal with people trying to negotiate office fees at a lower rate.
By Blogger lindikins, at 11:54 AM
I still haven't figured out whether I should play up my "foreignness" or try to blend in.

There's something to be said for either and after two years I still don't know.

Keeping in mind that to most people, the idea of an American who *willingly* moved to Scotland is like the idea of a professional from Soho upping and moving to Chengdu.
By Blogger Heather, at 5:42 PM
Oy. That's one helluva visual. Excuse me while I go lie down...it's pretty dramatic.
By Blogger lindikins, at 12:52 AM