Ten of Pentacles - Linder's Version

Here is the place where the total mind dump takes no form or shape. Call it Verbal cubism!

Friday, October 14, 2005

Dangers of Sleepwalking and Exhaustion 

You know, there’s really something to be said about kids and their strict bedtimes. Yes, routine is necessary and even, absolute. But spontaneity should be thrown in every now and then (a-hem).

Anyway, being the biggest, selfish parent on this planet, I never quite enforced a strict bedtime ritual with my daughter simply because I wanted to keep her up all night long with me. Due to my horrendous hours at work, I didn’t mind seeing her walking about at 11:30PM or even 3AM on the weekends. So what if she had school the next day?

When I quit Fido, I slowly learned why there were so many bedwetting accidents. Because Mikayla had gone to bed late at night, she was too tired to get up and go take a whizz. After all, she used to do it in her sleep a few months ago, right? Only difference was – no diapies.

And man, we’ve gotten a few mean boo-boo’s in the past.

So, over the last year I worked on getting her to bed at a decent hour AND without having me to accommodate her by the side. It took about two months, but I certainly reaped the rewards. She fell asleep on her own, got the much needed hours, AND I got peace. It wasn't easy especially since I would let her go to bed anytime she wanted or whenever I went to bed.

And y’all know I’m a pathetic vampire at night. I haven’t changed in over 2 decades and it sure ain’t gonna let up either.

NOW…Miki goes to bed at 9:30PM – promptly. There are times where I have to scream, yell, and threaten mankind to get her to sleep. The quality of sleep does make a difference especially during school ‘cuz she isn’t nodding off during circle time. However, it’s still a bitch to wake her up. Like moi, she loves her bed and isn’t exactly a morning person. On the other hand, I notice how this isn't true on weekends. Hmmmm?

Last night, she did something I hadn’t seen in a while. She was in bed for about two hours and ran out of the bedroom at 11:30PM with her eyes closed. She approached me and said, “Mommy, mommy”. I asked her if she wanted to go to the potty, but she shook her head no. Then she headed over to the entertainment area where she pulled down her shorts to plop her chunky butt down…

I sprinted over and led her to the bathroom. I really hate to see the kid slam her ass on the floor.

Two years ago, she pulled a similar stunt where she walked over to daddy’s leather Coach briefcase, yanked her pants down, and sat right on top of it. I caught her just in the nick of time before the big whizz ensued. Yeesh, I was watching in her amazement before I realized what was really going on!

Another time, Mikayla had a play date with the rotten brat, Kristy. Since she was disinterested with her little friend, she fell asleep on her little Blue’s Clues pull-out sofa and ignored everyone in the living room. When Kristy and psychomom, Grace, finally departed, I headed into the kitchen to prepare dinner. Next thing I knew, my daughter ran into the kitchen bawling her head off. Mommy! Mommy! I pee-peed ewerywhere, I’m sorry! MOMMY!!!!

What the…?!! Dang…do I have to chuck out the mini sofa now?

I walked over to the spot where she was sleeping and saw that it was dry. Puzzled, I looked at my soiled child who reluctantly pointed at the bedroom.

Oh no.

I walked into my bedroom, and there it was…A MASSIVE STAIN saturated on MY side of the bed. I was speechless and couldn’t figure out what to do. She was distraught over the accident and it was apparent that she needed to unload her stash, but went to the wrong room. Oy.

A few nights ago, she made a beeline for the kitchen. I ran after her in the dark, with my eyes barely open, to turn her little body around towards the direction of our bathroom. She actually fought with me in her semi-conscious state and argued that I was leading her to the kitchen and not the bathroom. Whatever.

Oh, the joys of being a parent.
Posted by lindikins @ 12:03 AM

Comments: