Ten of Pentacles - Linder's Version

Here is the place where the total mind dump takes no form or shape. Call it Verbal cubism!

Tuesday, October 18, 2005

My Feet Hurt 

FUN, FUN, FUN!

Getting autographs and seeing members of my favorite 80's bands sign away and flash you a toothy smile.

So I got up this morning and was on line at Tower Records this morning around 7:50AM waiting for Chie. We were excited to grab a copy of Depeche Mode's new release and get autographs later that evening. Oddly enough, I was the early bird for today's event, while Chie was the tardy toad. Usually it's the other way around (HAH! Me? Early?!?!). We waited nearly 2 hours before we were able to purchase the DVD/CD compiliaton and obtain those very, very, very crucial wristbands.

Because I was antsy and couldn't really concentrate with work, I decided to leave the office early (and it was HOPPING today) and arrived there around 4PM. Unfortunately, I was utterly bored outta my mind since Chie couldn't get out of work early. Because she had gone into the office late, there was no way she could sneak out of her office undetected (sucks to be in mgmt!). Fortunately, I had come PREPARED - candy, gum, and the best of all, my ancient walkman. Yes, I live in the Dark Ages and have yet to own a MP3 player. Plus, let's not forget those cool looking sunglasses.

Was it extremely sunny today, you might ask? Um, not quite, but the explanation is simple. Although I am rather photosensitive due to Lasik surgery, by no means do I wear them on a regular basis. When you wait out on these horrendous lines in the streets, every a-hole passing by will ask you WTF we are foolishly hanging about.

So, when you appear preoccupied, especially in those glasses, those annoying trolls will not pose any dumb questions to you. They will proceed the next idiot who appears to be available. Plus, another added benefit: inconspicuous people-watching. After going around the town last year to catch public appearances by TFF and Duran Duran, you could say I've got this down to a system.

By 5:30PM, Chie finally got her revered hiney on line and my boredom duty was over. Sure enough, she went digging into her wallet and realized she's lost her wristband.

Lost.

OMFG - she heads right back to the K-Mart on Astor Place because she had purchased some gum and a Sharpie pen. She heard something drop, but didn't notice what it was. I cross my fingers and toes PRAYING that no one has noticed the wristband. 8 minutes later, I get a phone call that everything's okay.

Phew!

I told her that she could have my wristband if she truly had lost it. She loves Depeche Mode more than I do, and just seeing the pure joy on her face is enough for me.

So we wait for another hour or so and before 7PM, the line is now moving quickly. When we finally entered Tower Records, I see them in the flesh: Andy Fletcher, Martin Gore and David Gahan. Unfortunately, security moved us along like an assembly line and you couldn't quite chat or ask the guys to sign a specific item or page. The nicest bit is how they all smiled and shook everyone's hands.

Chie was FLOORED. She actually cried seeing them and was sputtering incoherent stuff after we left the store. She managed to tell Martin that she's loved them since LIRR (an alternative radio station in the 80's) and was walking on air for at least 20 minutes!

It was truly adorable. At least she now knows how goofy I felt when I met Curt and Roland. You want to say something nice and intelligent, but feel way too awkward when you meet them. It's a great feeling and an experience unmatched by anything else. The pure joy of seeing someone you hold dear in the flesh just seems so much more real.

My feet are now gangrenous.
Posted by lindikins @ 11:21 PM

Comments: