Ten of Pentacles - Linder's Version

Here is the place where the total mind dump takes no form or shape. Call it Verbal cubism!

Sunday, November 06, 2005

An Update 

It’s been so long since I’ve properly blogged that I don’t even know what to say.

Hah! Me, without words?

But no, not a lot has been going on except work and more work. The office is piling up and now that we’re down one person, I have to balance my time carefully especially since I’ve been so lax with it for too long.

School is uneventful with the exception of me sending nasty grams. Here’s the latest one:

Linda Mah wrote:

Dear Teacher Irene,

Thank you for your response.

With all due respect, I understand that the HSC book is a new system implemented for the 2005-2006 school year; however, I find that email is a much more formidable type of communication as those the size of post-it notes by no means can effectively communicate the merit of our issues and concerns as a parent. Furthermore, I had enclosed a few messages in the past which continue to remain unanswered.

Please understand that I am not suggesting that you “force” or browbeat children into practicing virtues, it would be detrimental for everyone involved in such process. I am not interested in preaching to you the school practices, but simply adhering to policy as dictated in the handbook. But in the past 2 years, what I’ve seen and experienced the classroom dynamics have been seriously dismissed in your class. Since children learn by observing, modeling virtuous behavior encourages and promotes good character in them and even enforces discipline. Many children are ready, they’re just not motivated. However as a parent, I cannot sit by and watch these children take control of the situation and let the noise levels go up.

I’ve established excellent relationship and rapport with all of my daughter’s teachers and respected their executive decisions and abilities. I have constantly shown support and never commented on how they run their classes or agenda. However, I see much disarray in your class which prompted me to compose this email to mitigate certain issues. Please understand that I am not interested in relegating your position as the head teacher, but the current environment within Charity is barely our meeting expectations. Because TKS encourages parental involvement, it is important for us parents to feel a part of the class, not to be ostracized from it. I speak for many of the “senior” parents of the school and we have tried to give you the benefit of the doubt, but nothing has reaped from our patience.

Furthermore, along with other parents and myself, we approached Ms. Eng to address our concerns. Ms. Eng being your superior, we fully expected her to bring you up to par with the school’s mission, as well as the expectations from parents, children, and the community. It is her utmost responsibility to oversee the process and I know for a fact that there was breakdown in communications because none of these issues were addressed.

Like I mentioned previously, I’m not writing this email to berate or vent my frustrations, but to bring awareness of the current situation at hand. If you wish, I can work with you, along with the support of other parents, in order to find a happy medium and set politics aside. But that’s your call.


Regards,

Linda

Posted by lindikins @ 11:27 PM

Comments: