Ten of Pentacles - Linder's Version

Here is the place where the total mind dump takes no form or shape. Call it Verbal cubism!

Wednesday, February 22, 2006

Moving Right Along 

Well, I've got a ton of ideas, but no inspiration nor time to pen the thoughts down. I'm contemplating to hang up the blog for a few months and come out with a new one.

Still thinking...nothing's final yet.

Well, Miki off this week and I was scrambling all last week doing mommy duties. I was absolutely appalled last week with the children in Mikayla's class that I went home with a migraine after her birthday party on Friday afternoon.

Okay, it's one thing if the kids are undisciplined and rambunctious brats. It's another when they cross the line of being SNOTTY, OBNOXIOUS, and DISRESPECTFUL.

OMFG - I wanted to kill the little snots and their parents. It's one thing that the class has gone amok because the teachers are useless and inexperienced, but it's the parents' job to curb this premature nastiness. Some believe it's a good survival skill, while some believe it's a way for the child to expand their creativity and intelligence. But when you're talking about a roomful of mean-spirited kids who deliberately set out to hurt others, that's whole other ball of wax.

3 little girls...condescendingly declare other little girls for being born with physical defects while claiming themselves as being fairest on the land. Little boys out to grab anyone's attention by being boisterous, loud and belittling other children. Every one of those mini-Mao's are so into tattletaling that they'll fib a story to get an adult's attention. I no longer found any joy in being with these children like I once did.

Last Thursday, I accompanied Mikayla to her on a class trip to see Sesame Street Live. Unlike the previous years, I refused to share any treats with her classmates and reserved it only for 2 children. I used to buy enough to feed an army, but now, I couldn't even give a rat's ass. Without reservation, these children (I don't even know these brats) would come up to me and demand, not ask, for stuff. [Goddamnit, get out of my face and it's YOUR mother's job. She ain't here, that's such a cryin' shame, ain't it?] WTF? Where are your manners, child?!

I convinced my daughter out of eating popcorn because it was very dry and I didn't want to be stuck buying a large drink. Guzzling a liter of soda equates to serious potty time and going to a public bathroom is a real chore at Madison Square Garden. Plus, carting extra stuff around wasn't a picnic either. Instead, I offered to buy her a mylar balloon and it was a wonderful exchange - Miki loves ballons and her eyes were gleaming with delight.

I decided to buy two balloons, one for her, and the other one for her best friend. I pulled Joyce to the side and explained that she would get the balloon when we returned to school. However, a little nasty hobbit overheard my conversation and immediately flew up to my face screaming, "MIKAYLA'S MOM! JOYCE SAID DAT SHE DONT WANT HER BALLOON AND SHES GIVIN' TO ME!". Not once, but three times. Even after I told her to bug off.

Then on Friday, the noise levels were so high that my head was reeling with oddly shaped stars and spaceships. The birthday party was ridiculous as the teacher had absolutely no control of the kids. It was over in less than an hour and I couldn't wait to get the hell out of there.

The two days I spent at school had set me in a foul mood. I don't know what it is, maybe bad energy or whatever, I found their behaviors so descpicable that it left a weird aftertaste in my mouth.

But I am fortunate...my daughter is still a sweet and shy 6 year old. It may change, but at least my kid is a kid. Not a fresh-mouthed little sh-t or a snooty princess in the making. She's sweet, she doesn't bad-mouth other children, and thank goodness, those hurtful remarks by those girls roll right off of her. Mikayla is a tomboy, she doesn't care to wear dresses nor does she draw girly girls. Instead, she's fixated with cartoon characters like Spongebob, Catscratch, and Dragon Tales, as well as her famous love of dinosaurs.

And no, she won't be swayed by Cinderellas in ballgowns or Ariel pining for her prince because being beautiful isn't her forte. However, Simba and Nala hold dear in her heart because Nala can chew your ass to bits.

I just hope she'll stay this way just a wee bit longer. The only drawback of her behavior is her inability to defend herself with a class filled with cocky little imbeciles, so she's an easy target. She doesn't plow right through and refuses to draw attention to herself. Some people feel that she's "slow" and that I should allow her to run amok with the "wild". Heck no. I can't stand those little Emperors & Empresses, so there's no way I'm raising one. While her passive behavior isn't exactly one of her more remarkable traits, I do worry about her getting picked on. But like me, she'll eventually learn and hopefully will gain a bit of confidence later on.

For now, I've forcibly uprooted many of my mother's "bad" habits - she literally waits on Mikayla like a maid - and drilled my kid into doing things independently. At this day and age, she should be putting her own shoes and feeding herself. My mother is willing to do everything for her and is impatient at Mikayla's penchant for moving like a snail.

I mean, she's SIX! And she's smart enough to know that grandma will do everything for her. Last month, I barked up her tree for being unable to zip up her coat. I said, "Mommy isn't going to be around at school to do this for you, so what's going to happen when you go to the big kid's school?!!!" Her response? "Joyce will do it for me!"

Aiyah.
Posted by lindikins @ 9:48 PM

Comments:

And in ten years the behavior will be the same: Miki will be independent, inquisitive, and just a little bit stubborn, while those little Maos become little adults safe in the belief that they will never have to worry about anything in their lives.
By Blogger Heather, at 9:40 PM