Ten of Pentacles - Linder's Version

Here is the place where the total mind dump takes no form or shape. Call it Verbal cubism!

Sunday, July 16, 2006

Baby Boom 

Everyone’s having them kids…folks who are having their 1st ones, 2nd ones, and even 3rd ones. I’m getting ready for my nephew’s entry to the world next week (baby #3) and buying up a storm for the next batch of cutie pies due in the winter. Heck, there are even babies born in this household…well, not exactly human.

Okay, I will confess, as much as I hated my daughter’s pet fish…it is my newest hobby. Whatever it is that I’m doing…must be working because they’re still alive (5 out of 8), one is growing like weed, and breed like crazy. On their 4th breeding attempt, some of the eggs were stuck on those little pieces of decorative rock. For the heck of it, I decided to remove some rocks ladened with eggs because Dada fish was vacuuming them up for breakfast.

I wasn’t sure if the eggs were fertilized or not, so I just left them in a small cup for the next few days. Miki was excited at the prospect of having little baby fish swimming in our tank and I prepped the little one with sad news just in case it didn’t quite make it.

Well…I got me 28 little fry. On day 3, the amazing and biological act of mitosis enabled me to see the fishies split and divide from the inside. By day 4, there were little buggers shivering on the bottom of the cup. They look like human sperm.

Now…10 days after my fishies hatched, only one fry died. Now these guys look like little alien creatures thanks to their oversized eyeballs. They still have their long spermy tails, but those slanty black eyes are outta this world. Fearing that the fry might not last for another week, I made an effort to clean out the spare (grossly oversized) tank and got them proper fry food.

Well, the idiot that I am, should’ve taken out the stupid gravel (or whatever the heck your call it). I can’t differentiate the fishies because it’s the same color and they’ve managed to wedge themselves between the rocks. So if they kaput, I’m not sure if I can find them.

At least they have an aerated tank and frozen brine shrimp to feed on. Hopefully, they’ll last a tad bit longer. Mikayla’s soo excited at her fish, she’s been telling everyone about them and writing about it school. So technically, it’s HER babies.
Posted by lindikins @ 2:30 AM

Comments:

If I sit on the sofa now, Emily comes over and rubs her head on my belly, the way she normally rubs my hand.

Maybe she thinks it's HER baby!
By Blogger Heather, at 1:18 PM