Confessions Tour
Madonna ROCKS.
I went to see her last night at MSG with Chie and her sister, Yuki. DAMN, The Material Girl can throw one heckuva performance onstage. She looks hot, sexy and somehow never broke a sweat. Only she can hump the oversized boombox with a certain level of finesse. There were fantastic displays of lights, panoramic screens with eye-catching and artistic ‘screensavers’ illuminating from the stage. The experience is surreal.
She commands her presence in the most grandiose entrance ever - a magnificent disco ball descending towards the extended stage. Then with the booming introduction of either “Future Lovers” or “Let It Will Be” (I really can’t remember, she was THAT mesmerizing), the mirror-tiled sphere opens up revealing the great one donning her majestic equestrian-inspired outfit. It was HOT – the rider’s hat, the crop, and those billowing lacy sleeves. She may have only been 4 inches tall from where I was watching her, but she was freaking awesome. I couldn’t take my eyes off of her.
The show was well worth the price. 113 bucks don’t come cheap…heck, I gotta see her at least ONCE in my lifetime, yah?
Fortunately for me, Chie has an intricate network of folks who thrive in the entertainment industry. She was able to finagle 3 tickets and I was DAMN lucky to get my hands on the sold-out show. I wasn’t gonna be picky about where we sat…heck, the big screen was good enough for me.
I noticed how some people complained about the content…she didn’t ‘sing’ as much. I guess when you’re a mega-star billion times over, you can dish out the content in any way you want. No encore, but a full 2 hours of Madonna-isms thrown in your face. For the most part, it felt as though she “clipped” many of the lyrics and gave the audience a truncated version of her set list.
Let’s not forget how she commanded everybody in the audience to get their asses off their seats and boogie. “SHOW your respect and gratitude by STANDING UP!” when she bellowed into the microphone. The F word was mentioned somewhere too…she appeared to be quite annoyed at a bunch located in the back floor. Heck, the woman sings techno and mainstream pop, you absolutely HAVE to dance along with it. This isn’t Enya or Tori Amos we’re talking about.
Then again, she even requested to have the AC turned off during the performance so she could preserve her freaking voice (by not breathing in the Freon?!). No kidding, but I left MSG sopping wet as though I was cooking in a sauna for 2 hours. It was so NOT cool.
But overall…FANTASTIC. Girl knows how to put on a show.
However…I must confess, the sound quality seemed a bit ‘off’. Then again, I can hypothesize by saying that her voice is no longer up to par or she’s not exactly what I consider to be “Live Material”. Tears for Fears, by far, sound AWESOME live…it’s as though I transported a music CD from my home stereo to the show at the Beacon Theater or at Rockefeller Center. That’s how great those guys sound during their live performances. Even Depeche Mode sounds great live, so you KNOW, these bands can belt out some serious tunes. Maybe that’s why her shows are fabulous…you’re busy watching her and not really noticing that the vocals aren’t as hot.
I went to see her last night at MSG with Chie and her sister, Yuki. DAMN, The Material Girl can throw one heckuva performance onstage. She looks hot, sexy and somehow never broke a sweat. Only she can hump the oversized boombox with a certain level of finesse. There were fantastic displays of lights, panoramic screens with eye-catching and artistic ‘screensavers’ illuminating from the stage. The experience is surreal.
She commands her presence in the most grandiose entrance ever - a magnificent disco ball descending towards the extended stage. Then with the booming introduction of either “Future Lovers” or “Let It Will Be” (I really can’t remember, she was THAT mesmerizing), the mirror-tiled sphere opens up revealing the great one donning her majestic equestrian-inspired outfit. It was HOT – the rider’s hat, the crop, and those billowing lacy sleeves. She may have only been 4 inches tall from where I was watching her, but she was freaking awesome. I couldn’t take my eyes off of her.
The show was well worth the price. 113 bucks don’t come cheap…heck, I gotta see her at least ONCE in my lifetime, yah?
Fortunately for me, Chie has an intricate network of folks who thrive in the entertainment industry. She was able to finagle 3 tickets and I was DAMN lucky to get my hands on the sold-out show. I wasn’t gonna be picky about where we sat…heck, the big screen was good enough for me.
I noticed how some people complained about the content…she didn’t ‘sing’ as much. I guess when you’re a mega-star billion times over, you can dish out the content in any way you want. No encore, but a full 2 hours of Madonna-isms thrown in your face. For the most part, it felt as though she “clipped” many of the lyrics and gave the audience a truncated version of her set list.
Let’s not forget how she commanded everybody in the audience to get their asses off their seats and boogie. “SHOW your respect and gratitude by STANDING UP!” when she bellowed into the microphone. The F word was mentioned somewhere too…she appeared to be quite annoyed at a bunch located in the back floor. Heck, the woman sings techno and mainstream pop, you absolutely HAVE to dance along with it. This isn’t Enya or Tori Amos we’re talking about.
Then again, she even requested to have the AC turned off during the performance so she could preserve her freaking voice (by not breathing in the Freon?!). No kidding, but I left MSG sopping wet as though I was cooking in a sauna for 2 hours. It was so NOT cool.
But overall…FANTASTIC. Girl knows how to put on a show.
However…I must confess, the sound quality seemed a bit ‘off’. Then again, I can hypothesize by saying that her voice is no longer up to par or she’s not exactly what I consider to be “Live Material”. Tears for Fears, by far, sound AWESOME live…it’s as though I transported a music CD from my home stereo to the show at the Beacon Theater or at Rockefeller Center. That’s how great those guys sound during their live performances. Even Depeche Mode sounds great live, so you KNOW, these bands can belt out some serious tunes. Maybe that’s why her shows are fabulous…you’re busy watching her and not really noticing that the vocals aren’t as hot.
Comments:
Post a Comment
