Snapped – Continues
(or should make them into future chapters?)
Anyway, the incident left me with a very bitter aftertaste in the back of my mouth. I was furious, and believe me, I don’t think anyone quite understood my anger.
To be humiliated and trashed around by someone you know is an act far more despicable than from a complete stranger. You question the individual’s motive and try to rationalize WHY they possessed the compulsion to go on this malevolent power trip. But nothing comes to my mind.
However, the answer is quite simple…you and I are neither dysfunctional nor incorrigible in any sense. Erm, my hobbies include origami, Tears for Fears, aquarium fish, and last but not least, I enjoy giving my full support to my beloved friends. The last time I checked, social bigotry disgusted me - especially if putting down people because of their class, age, gender, or social status is considered a national pastime.
However, if the individual was being STUPID, then I have but no choice to set them straight.
For YEARS, I’ve put up with everyone else’s bullshit. My mother, as strong as she was, had a preference for “letting go” issues rather than resolving them. Folks from my parents’ generation would only fight tooth and nail only if they were cornered like a rat - they didn’t rely on their fight or flight mechanisms 24/7 like these guys today.
As a result, I grew up walking away from problems and issues. Confrontations were never my forte and I could never muster enough energy to tell someone off. My brains were scattered, the words were disjointed, my hands would tremble…I was too angry and petrified to tell someone how awful they’ve offended or hurt me.
Of course my actions came back to bite me big time. However, being a mom, confrontations have become easier to deal with – like a mother bear protecting her cubs from the evil hunters of the world. Anyone or anything getting near my child with a 10 mile radius, better watch out – I’ll dismember you to bits with my bare hands and canine teeth.
But at work, confrontations remained difficult. When I met Barbara, I decided to become a stupid-assed manager to deal with confrontations head-on as well as minimizing the intimidation or pressure to please everyone. Bad, bad habit, I tell you. Barbara informed me it wouldn’t take too long since I had the bitch factor inside me. Give it time and it’ll foster its own growth.
Being in my own domain, I was well aware of how these Neanderthals behaved and the absolute need to have the final word. Hell, I wasn’t going to let these people degrade me in any sense and I was ready to jump their ass like white on rice. My Chinese may not be up to par as my mum’s, but my attitude alone speaks for itself. Don’t you even think about messing with me.
So, two days after the cow infested my office, I was keeping an eye out for more of this crap. I don’t how else to explain it, but I knew more was coming.
Goshdarnit, was I right.
Lo and behold, the king of the porcelain bowls walked into my office. I had been keeping an eye out for this asshole since June. The thing is, no matter what you do in my office and no matter who the feck your momma is, you can’t escape me. I have an exceptionally KEEN memory when it comes to these odd occurrences. So don’t get on my bad side, ‘cuz I remember EVERYTHING.
Back in June, he rang up the office speaking Cantonese and DEMANDED a Friday appointment. It just so happens we were ‘closed’ for Mikayla’s graduation. When Tina made an exception for him to be seen on Thursday morning (we were fully booked that week), she asked for his name.
He screamed, “TUNG!” in Cantonese.
“Is it D-O-N-G?”, asked Tina.
“You don’t KNOW? FUCK YOU!” (That’s in English, of course) and slammed the phone.
Again, the poor girl was in tears. *Sigh*
Unbelievable. So when the ass barged into my office that same FRIDAY (the Friday where they were no appointments available), he pushed his way through others so he could go first. WTF?!
A tiny woman confronted him and told him off. She was waiting since
He droned on and on about his impeccable knowledge in diabetes, how long he has been seen in our office, how Rich never committed to his office hours, and how Rich would have dim sum downstairs while deliberately making patients wait on him.
I wanted to tear him a new asshole. But Rich HATED whenever I confronted people over their heinous conduct and I was sick of arguing about it at home. Give it to someone who won’t tell his nasty patients off, but shit on ME because he’s now in a bad mood. No wonder these assholes keep on coming back…who’s gonna reprimand them for picking on us?
When the schmuck left, I then REALIZED he was the abusive caller. He was diabetic asshole who said all he needed were prescriptions and his last name was Dong (in Mandarin) / Tung (in Cantonese).
So I blacklisted the motherfucker.
When he marched his ass again last Thursday, I asked him in professional tone of voice not to use “strong” language on the phone. It was unnecessary because we have been very accommodating and he had been a long-time patient in our office.
So what do you think was his reaction?
Instead of denying the accusation or claim that I was the one offending him, he completely flipped out. He started screaming and throwing a crazy fit in my office about how “I don’t know” and how he wasn’t going to acknowledge me since I was a lowly receptionist who registered patients in all day. He continued with his insulting rant on how I was pretending to be “bigger and better than everybody else”- when in my sad reality, my ultimate existence originated on the lower rung of the food chain. Alritey then…
I responded that I wasn’t better than anyone else. I stated very calmly that he if he didn’t cut the crap, I would call the police. He dared me and I dialed 911.
Whatever you do, just never dare me.
At this point, he was shitting bricks – he clammed up and sat his ass on a chair. With my blood boiling inside of me, I stood up from my seat and STARED at him coldly. He couldn’t even look me in the face. I practically egged a middle-aged man, standing at 6 feet, weighing about 170 lbs, to launch another tirade against me.
When it was his turn, I intentionally skipped him over to the patients who came after he did. I then launched an all-English tirade (with lots of fancy F words, no less) on top of my voice – THIS IS MY OFFICE, I say what goes and you’ve got NO power OVER me.
He was getting nervous as the clock was ticking by and the cops were coming. I didn’t care whether they came and arrested him, I REFUSED to allow anyone to bully me because they thought they could. Seeing him wracked with anxiety and nervousness told me how I’ve won this battle.
It just so happens I received a phone call with an individual asking for a Mrs. Chan. Over the phone, I was curt and demanded to know who wanted to speak with me. When the shithead realized I wasn’t a mere receptionist, he was ready to explode. Although Rich saw him anyway, I made my presence very obvious in the exam area by slamming doors and my expert use of profanity. He tried to complain about my exceptional personality and how he was deliberately passed over…weak argument considering he really didn’t have one. Gotta have the last word?
I think not.
Bring on the next motherfucking asshole. I’m ready.
Comments:
Seriously though, kudos to you for putting them in their place, I'm a HUGE believer in karma, and I sincerely believe they will get what they deserve...eventually....it never hurts to speed up the process a little though. ;)
The lucky bastard got away thanks to the fact that the authorities took their sweet time moseying in. I guess no blood, no hurry?
However, all was not lost. Standing in the middle of the waiting area, stood a mighty fine-looking authoritative figure decked out in his uniform. He was pleasing to our eyes and we were mesmerized to even care what took place 15 minutes ago.
WE NEED MORE ASIAN EYE CANDY!!!
Okay, once again, I digress...
ohhh yeah.
We were all but requesting to be frisked.


