My other hobby -
Thanks to Mikayla, I have THREE fish tanks to clean and maintain. It's no easy task.
February of this year, I was given a 1-gallon fish tank with 8 little fishies. Because of severe overcrowding and fierce hierarchichal behavior, there remains a dominant pair (Big Fat Meanie & Bossy are their names) with two little suicidal fishies (Bubbles & Pinky). The other 4 went to fishie heaven.
September of this year, I get another FIVE goldfish from the San Gennaro feast. A remarkable feat, Miki won two 3-inch comet goldfish (named after characters from Spongebob Squarepants [blearghh] - Rooney and Flounder) and one of them died 4 days later. Unfortunately those fishies are a diseased lot and it depresses the winner because they simply aren't made to last more than a week.
Sensing my daughter's distress over the loss of her new goldfish, I offered her an opportunity to win another partner for Rooney. Lo and behold, Miki came home with not one, not two, but THREE more goldfish. It wasn't because she had a great aim and managed to plunker those ping pong balls into those little fish bowls...it was because one of the winners felt sorry for Miki and gave her one of the five fish she had won. And then the vendor herself gave Miki a freebie because my baby's lower lip curled as she missed each shot. After purchase two $5 buckets, Miki finally scored.
So we came home with THREE more goldfish. They were called Fifi, Chum and Bucket. Fifi died the next day of fin rot and Bucket went kaput due to nitrate poisoning. Apparently, the overcrowding in the fish tank, disease, and the wastes excreted by the goldfish caused them to go kaput one by one. All of them were sick and required heavey dosages of meds to kill their nasty infections.
So I have two surviving goldfish in a separate tank, plump and vibrant. I have yet ANOTHER lot of baby Jellybeans that I was trying to breed this past summer. I originally had 28 and now I'm down to 9. Man, this is a true testament of Darwin's theory in the survival of the fittest.
No fricking wonder why I'm busy. It takes me 3 hours to clean the tanks each goddamned weekend when I could be blogging or emailing.
Things us parents do for our kids.
February of this year, I was given a 1-gallon fish tank with 8 little fishies. Because of severe overcrowding and fierce hierarchichal behavior, there remains a dominant pair (Big Fat Meanie & Bossy are their names) with two little suicidal fishies (Bubbles & Pinky). The other 4 went to fishie heaven.
September of this year, I get another FIVE goldfish from the San Gennaro feast. A remarkable feat, Miki won two 3-inch comet goldfish (named after characters from Spongebob Squarepants [blearghh] - Rooney and Flounder) and one of them died 4 days later. Unfortunately those fishies are a diseased lot and it depresses the winner because they simply aren't made to last more than a week.
Sensing my daughter's distress over the loss of her new goldfish, I offered her an opportunity to win another partner for Rooney. Lo and behold, Miki came home with not one, not two, but THREE more goldfish. It wasn't because she had a great aim and managed to plunker those ping pong balls into those little fish bowls...it was because one of the winners felt sorry for Miki and gave her one of the five fish she had won. And then the vendor herself gave Miki a freebie because my baby's lower lip curled as she missed each shot. After purchase two $5 buckets, Miki finally scored.
So we came home with THREE more goldfish. They were called Fifi, Chum and Bucket. Fifi died the next day of fin rot and Bucket went kaput due to nitrate poisoning. Apparently, the overcrowding in the fish tank, disease, and the wastes excreted by the goldfish caused them to go kaput one by one. All of them were sick and required heavey dosages of meds to kill their nasty infections.
So I have two surviving goldfish in a separate tank, plump and vibrant. I have yet ANOTHER lot of baby Jellybeans that I was trying to breed this past summer. I originally had 28 and now I'm down to 9. Man, this is a true testament of Darwin's theory in the survival of the fittest.
No fricking wonder why I'm busy. It takes me 3 hours to clean the tanks each goddamned weekend when I could be blogging or emailing.
Things us parents do for our kids.
Comments:
Post a Comment
About 14 years ago I had a pair of Siamese Fighting Fish.
Care to guess what I called them?
;-)
Care to guess what I called them?
;-)
Abbot and Costello?!
:o)
:o)

