Ten of Pentacles - Linder's Version

Here is the place where the total mind dump takes no form or shape. Call it Verbal cubism!

Thursday, August 30, 2007

This Time Around – 

Okay, I’ll confess that I’ve been listening to Benjamin Orr (late singer of The Cars) a little more than I should and this 80’s yarn kinda sorta brings me back to my younger years.

If I can actually believe that I was 16 once.

Also, I’ve been delving my brains into lots of things.

The title of this track, the last one on this album, is a nice ending to all of the rhythmic 80’s overkill he has on this album. It’s a pure 80’s yarn and it’s not a bad one, but sadly, those drum machines are a testament of Sonny Crockett’s white linen pants (Miami Vice, for those of you young guns).

Why am I even blogging about this? Well, for one, it dawned upon me when I listened to the album how difficult it is to compose music. To have penned a set of lyrics and to have music to match these lyrics is no simple feat. It just amazes me what goes on in the mind of a songwriter and how he/she can bring it to fruition is simply amazing.

Me, the one w/o any musical creativity, can’t fathom how this is done. When I analyze stuff like this, it makes me think and philosophize over a Hershey Bar.

To compete in this aggressively cutthroat music industry, I just realized how few people actually know how to write music. Even if the lyrics are beautifully written, not everybody can actually put music and lyrics into form. Sometimes it takes two, even ten, people to get one song right.

Anyway, I’ve always liked The Cars and enjoyed their music from 70’s-80’s. Then it all came to an abrupt end when everyone broke up and went on their separate ways. Interestingly enough, most of the members of the group produced solo works which never went anywhere. Only Ben Orr managed to get some people to notice “Stay the Night” and that was it.

Elliot Easton is really a great guitarist, Ric Ocasek led the group with his cryptic lyrics, Greg Hawkes is super talented, and Ben possessed a voice unmatched by any other in the industry. Put together, they’re awesome. Separately, they can’t function solo. Although Ric has put out numerous solo albums reflecting his creative talent, it’s missing an edge. Ben neglects to make music to truly reflect his vocal quality (such a shame, really) and bippity boppity pop really isn’t his cup of tea. He was better off hollering at the microphone doin’ hard rock over his corny “Too Hot to Stop” single. Ugh. When I saw the video as a kid, I cringed big time. No, I didn’t watch “Halloween” or “Nightmare on Elm St”. It was Ben trying to ‘rock’ at the microphone donning leather pants.

Generally speaking, as a full-blooded American female, one can safely assume I’ll drool at the sight of a well-built man in black leather. Hey, it worked for Dave Gahan…

But no, Ben has no fricking stage presence and looked like damn dork. He didn’t know what to do his limbs and appeared as though he was stuck in his clothing – like someone duct-taped the leather outfit on him. Now Dave…my man Dave….oh god…

When I saw him in concert back in 1993, I had cruddy seats in MSG. But his god-like presence on the stage to “REACH OUT AND TOUCH MEE!!!” was unforgettable. Even though he appeared only 4 inches in my field of vision, I can see damn clearly when he began moving his hips during “Stripped” - the girls swooned and began swaying in the direction of his hips. UNDULATE!!!

I needed a cold shower after the concert. He was simply awesome.

Now back to Ben, he’s damn good-looking, but apparently he’s related to Mr. Roboto. No fricking wonder why he’s always been filmed holding his bass guitar because he doesn’t know what to do with his hands. A true pity for someone so good-looking…

But again, I digress.

It made me think about how Curt Smith disliked his first solo album and how the pop influences wasn’t exactly his cup of tea. It wasn’t a bad album, but his Mayfield album was far better. Well, then again, I do prefer rock over pop.

I guess I’m kinda, sorta, maybe-not-really, comparing TFF to The Cars? When Curt left, it felt different and I was quite devastated. It was like breaking up with your first love and the pain associated with it. I couldn’t bring myself to enjoy TFF sans Curt, even though TFF’s works were just as strong as they once were – but in a more mature and evolved state.

Going their separate ways, they both did well to achieve their creative goals. They may not have experienced the worldwide success they once did in the 90’s, the music is still awesome. They just have bad luck when it comes to management, marketing, and timing.

I guess I’ve been over-analyzing music is partially due to Mikayla. She’s has an uncanny knack for the violin and hopefully, she’ll continue this passion for years to come. Sans some of the tantrums and fights we’ve had when it comes to practicing, she’s been doing well and can make up simple songs on the violin. Considering how tone deaf I am, I’m amazed at her ability to pluck away at the strings and how she easily pinpoints the instrument being out of tune.

I’m crossing my fingers and hope that she’ll be a violinist. Unlike most parents who want their kids to become a doctor, lawyer, a politician, or an asshole, I actually would love to have my kid as a musician or an artist.

OMFG – my mother would’ve had a heart attack if she heard me say this. Unlike my mother, I won’t put a damper on my daughter’s future by showering her practical nonsense. Nor will I force Miki to pursue an academic career simply based on its “usefulness” because I want her base it on passion.

So, this time around – it’ll be much better.




Posted by lindikins @ 12:52 AM

Comments:

Just this week I was posting to a web development forum how my own experience has led me to conclude that I won't push my little one to go to university. I'm working in a career which *did not exist* when I went off to college. All that high school pressure, advanced courses, SATs, and four years of expensive theoretical education...absolutely worthless. Who knows what careers will exist when our little ones are grown up?

I'm not sure you'll be able to get away with that attitude in the academic pressure that is New York City Parenting, but as long as she understands that happiness isn't Harvard, she'll be just fine.
By Blogger Heather, at 5:29 AM