Ten of Pentacles - Linder's Version

Here is the place where the total mind dump takes no form or shape. Call it Verbal cubism!

Monday, September 10, 2007

Travel Blog 2007 - Intro 

Well, without a doubt, I hate my every ass found in my genealogy. I hate every fecking one of them.

Anyway, it turns out that my distant relatives are far better than the ones I grew up…ironic, huh?

So…off I go to China…to swap properties for mom. A few decades ago, mom and dad bought a large house for her siblings to live in. The original home she grew up in was downsized when the Communist government paved the roads into streets during the 70’s. As a result 4 families, not including my grandparents, were crammed into a 2 story home only suitable for a single family of 5.

So try stuffing 20+ folks in your living room apartment.

Mom comes to the rescue and buys them a big house enough for all of these assholes to live in. For a whopping ¥1,200 ($130 back then), mom got ‘em a house big enough for my cousins to have their own rooms. My grandparents decided to remain in their own house while everyone else occupy every goddamn room half of this former mansion. The home was originally owned by a wealthy magistrate who unfortunately, had to turn over his massive abode into a crappy tenement building when Mao took over.

The original owners lived quietly and were forced to share their ancestral home with my relatives. At the very least, my family paid for their living space as opposed to the other occupants who simply barged in.

[Sad note: The magistrate was stripped of his wealth, title and two of his elder sons were publicly executed for participating in the Nationalist Army. Every household had to give up their firstborn son for the war, so it wasn’t exactly a choice many people voluntarily made. In fact, my 2nd uncle enlisted in the army posing as my eldest uncle because he wasn’t around when the guards came knocking down the doors. My 2nd uncle revered his eldest brother and used to get into such mischief that my grandmother would whup them with splintered bamboo sticks. Fortunately, my 2nd uncle survived the war and snuck away to Taiwan safely. I oughta blog about this story…]

Anyhoo, mum gave the power of attorney to her long-lost sister (another story to blog about) and my aunt was up to no good. The wench is bitter and angry over the fact mom didn’t split any proceeds of the sale of two apartments back 2005. It doesn’t matter if the titles are in our names (me and bro), but she collected rent for 10 years, therefore it qualifies as a legitimate owner in her freaking mind. Of course, she conveniently forgot how mum never quite asked for the bulk of the rent money or asked her to keep an accurate record accounting these transactions. Mom being mom, allowed her keep her more than half of what was collected AND the witch had the balls to ask for more.

That’s China for you.

They’re greedy and they’ll take ANYTHING they can get. And oh, they’re really subtle about asking for money. You’ll hear crap like, “HEY! I’ve got a son who’s going to college this September”, meanwhile their eldest son is 45 and never even graduated from junior high school.

See, the reason why they make a sport of bashing us jook sings (another term describing American-born Chinese – hollow bamboos – meaning we look Chinese, but don’t possess the ‘heart’ of being Chinese) is because we’re a bunch of doozies when it comes to deciphering their subliminal and cryptic messages. We’re just too simple-minded and clueless in taking advantage of every given opportunity coming our way.

So I’m stupid.

Whatever.

My mother never trained us to calculate each favor or request; instead, she preached in the highest regard to love our family members unconditionally. Um, okay, but they sure don’t seem to recite the same mantra. Now why is that?

Posted by lindikins @ 10:00 PM

Comments:

Hon, we need to sit down and talk about what's happened to your English since you got back.

The last part of your post reminded me of a woman I worked with in DC, who would have to close her office door at least once a week to have a screaming, sobbing, hysterical argument with her teenage daughter over the phone. These arguments always involved exertion and a volume one might expect if there was a war on. You'd think the girl had committed a murder or something, when in truth she was just a normal slightly rebellious teenager whom the woman was going to see at home in a few hours anyway. The entire office ignored the weekly drama, chalking it up to the woman's Russian blood.

Come to think of it, the office did have two rules for behavior: Russians and non Russians. Non Russians had to be all business, Russians were allowed to structure their work around their passions, subtleties, and biological inclination to turn every little problem into a full-scale drama.
By Blogger Heather, at 5:22 AM
I TOLD YA it was choppy and uninspiring and y'all didn't believe me! That's why I wasn't so upset when I lost my first post - in fact - it was even worst than this one. I think it has something to do with the lack of having a proper English conversation for 6 weeks and the lack of any writing for 8 weeks. I gotta go read some books now...then again, since when did I ever read?

Rest assured...Miki started school last week, so it means mommy is getting re-educated once again! But it's also harder to blog nowadays because Miki has developed a habit of asking me a question or re-telling stories based on cartoons she's watched...every fricking five minutes. This is clearly a the "only child" syndrome and she just can't stop yapping. I have to practically beg her to leave me alone for a good hour which almost never happens. Because I hate Spongebob, I would deliberately stick my fingers in my ears and go, "LALALALALALA" but she'll still press on and tell me that Squidward's the only squid that doesn't squirt ink.

LOL

Oh well. I only have about less than 2 hours each night to blog...and this topic ain't all that pretty!

Fukienese people speak so loud, one would've assumed we were fighting thanks to the volume and the drama they exert. So my office sounds like a battleground at times.
By Blogger lindikins, at 7:33 AM