Travel Blog 2007 - pt. I
I have never enjoyed traveling to
Not me. I can’t even sit at the salon to get my highlights done for 3 hours, let alone be seated on the plane. Heck, as much as I love the
And no, it’s nothing to do with crashing planes into tall buildings. I simply hate to sit still for more than an hour. Heck, even wat
When I finally got on the plane, I was surprised to be seated adjacently to a newlywed couple oozing of sappiness. I noticed the girl being extremely thin (w/o appearing scrawny) and wondered how she could achieve such a feat. In all of my years, I never had a flat stomach and thanks to Corporate America, my ass spread wider than my shoulders. It turns out that she was an extremely picky vegetarian which is how she maintained her slender figure. At this point, I decided to resume my life as an omnivore since there’s no way in hell I would ever give up on Serrano ham. So what if I had a rather prominent gut and it hung over my low-riders?
I arrived in HK with many, many hours to kill, five to be exact. Thankfully, there is an upscale mega-mall in the airport and I practically roamed into every single one of those stores. Trying to preoccupy myself, I feasted on authentic bowl of wonton noodle soup and the best iced coffee God has ever made.
Then I slowly made my way to the other end of the airport and located my gate. There are over 80 gates in this enormous airport. To get from Gate 1 to Gate 60, it is a good 30- minute walk (at moderate speed). So just imagine me dawdling at a snail’s pace because I have nothing to do. I wasn’t in any mood to read nor did I didn’t want to sit in the waiting area with a sore ass.
Thank god for Ipods.
I had to take a connecting flight to
Translation: These folks were too cheap to buy airport food and opted for the free crap on Eastern Air. Yuck. Instead of exchanging a few USD for HKD to spend, they refused to spare a few renmibi they have (these natives go back and forth all of the time) to purchase a snack. Just so you know, you can use Chinese currency in HK but you can’t use HKD in
Above all,
Ugh, I sat uncomfortably and waited. Because I was unfortunately seated next to the same bit
The idiotic woman kept reiterating how Qing Yeh’s wife was able to make the appropriate arrangements, but this stranger continued to diss her by saying how she wasn’t Qing Yeh’s wife and where was Mrs. Yeh now? Was she a travel agent (no, of course not, she’s a fricking opera singer!)? And if Qing Yeh’s wife could make the appropriate arrangements, how does it apply to her personally?
The woman refused to let up and kept tossing the name around like we ought to be impressed of her “prominent” association. Ironically, I actually did know who she was referring to because DR. Qing Yeh is actually located on the 8th floor in my building. Small world, huh?
AND – we are fierce competitors. Dr. Yeh’s been in practicing longer and is infamously known for treating his Fukienese patients terribly. In fact, how else did Tina’s grandmother find us in the first place??
[Tina’s grandmother was being treated by Dr. Yeh and the poor woman had to put up with this asshole’s verbal abuse. The last time she was there, he yelled at her for “having putrid body odor” and demanded that she take a bath before seeing him in the future. Her grandmother cried and never went back there again. So…she ventured a few floors down and found an empty doctor’s office and has remained there ever since. And a side note: the woman does NOT smell…I’ve had patients who fared worse since they work in fish and meat markets!]
On a more positive note, if he had NOT yelled at Tina’s grandmother, she would never have found us nor would I have Tina working in my office today!
Whatever. Finally got on the damn plane and found my lunch repulsive. I gave all of it to a woman seated next to me. Within the hour, I was in
I was amazed to see the airport look like an airport. It was clean, it had linoleum floors, and wowee, the bathrooms were actually labeled both in Chinese AND English.
I met my mother’s sister at the airport and it was about 36°C (96.8°F) with a slight breeze. I thought the weather wasn’t too bad and didn’t think it could get any worse.
Boy, was I WRONG.
It turns out that the airport had moved from
Chang Le is actually one of the largest rural areas of the
On my ride to
People are extremely hip. No wonder mom told me you couldn’t give them hand-me-downs any longer – they were living an extremely modern lifestyle that even I couldn’t have fathomed. I always presumed
Heck, my aunt owns a Pentium I and knows how to play Zuma damn well. She’s 60 years old this year.
A lot of this cultural boom stems from having only one child in each family. They now see that the mini-Emperors and mini-Empresses must be in possession of the newest gadgets and clothing as well as the freedom to develop their so-called “creativity”. Like here, there is a competitive edge between families to outdo one another both materialistically and academically. To some extent, certain traditions are overlooked and discipline is loosely enforced.
My 90’s suits don’t fly by nobody no more. Ten or so years ago, mom brought back a ton of my old 80’s clothes and cheap Wet N’ Wild lipsticks to
Of course, the main reason why
